Triggering molting?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Triggering molting?

Post by Maleficum » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 am

I got a bunch of canaries that was left at my friends sisters pet shop and they hadn't been taken too god care of.

It was one 10 year old male (didn't survive in the end :(), a female that is bold on the head and have a lot of broken feathers and can't fly to well (apparently because she was mating with the male all the time...) and there 3 sons (in pretty god condition except one who is missing two nails and have a crocked toe on one foot).

Is there a good idea to trying to trigger a moulting for the female (if yes how can I do it?) or is it better to wait a few month until the normal moulting season? She is trying to build a nest (but is now alone in a cage and no longer together with my male canaries, separated them right away when they got home to me a few weeks back).

The males have been moved outside now but don't want to put the female outside as long as she is missing feathers on her head and the rest of her feathers is broken :/ feels sorry for her not being able to fly correctly.
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Triggering molting?

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:12 pm

In my opinion, I think it is best to wait and let the molt occur in late summer, as is normal.

I'm partial to rabbits, and I like the photos on your deviantart page!
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:30 pm

The head feathers will correct in time as per the summer molt, but I would pull the damaged flight feathers. It's not difficult to do, and they will immediately re-grow within 3 weeks letting her fly again.
~Dylan

~~~

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Sheather
I didn't even think about pulling the bad flight feathers (even though I know they will grow back rapidly again because I have actually pulled damage feathers on one of my former doves before, although they were damage so much that she couldn't moult them properly). I was so stuck in the idea she had to changes all the feathers at the same time.

But it sound like the best idea :)

@Dave
I never liked rabbits until I took over my cosines aggressive dwarf lop and after that I was sold and have had angoras ever since!

Thanks for the help!
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.