Feather type - buff or yellow?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Feather type - buff or yellow?

Post by Dave » Sun May 13, 2018 11:21 am

It is easier to think of them in terms of 'soft' or 'hard' feathers.

Soft feathers look soft, and while most of the feather is colored, there is often a pale or white edge on each feather. Soft feathered birds can look sort of puffy, and usually look larger because of that. The color on soft feathered birds can look pale, because of the white feather edge.

Hard feathers look tight, and don't have a pale or white edge on them. Because they lack this pale edge, the bird's color can look brighter. Hard feathered birds also look smaller, because the feathering makes them seem sleek.

It has long been thought that repeated generations of soft x soft breeding is part of the cause of feather cysts. As with any general statement, there is some controversy about this. Here's an article about feather cysts. https://www.fifecanary.org/lump.htm
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Thank you Dave

I have been researching like mad to figure out what I have and I you have confirmed my thoughts. I had no clue that with canaries there are actually 2 feather types.

I will look at your link too..Im always learning. I will do a new post for all too see with comparison pictures so we can all see. Keep an eye out for it..your thoughts will be appreciated

Claire

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Clairecanary15

So I won't be able to help with your question, but I saw that you said you have a diary keeping track of your birds. Have you considered making an account with the Finch Breeder Database? It's free, and lets you keep track of lineages, genetics, age, health, location, source, etc, of each bird. I've been using it for a little over a year, and have found it quite useful.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun May 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Buff canaries have feathers fading to white on their edges, most obvious on their wings, tails and sometimes a ring around the neck paler than the rest of the body. Yellows are usually almost solid everywhere. In real life I have only ever seen two yellows and dozens of buffs. Buffs are fluffier, yellows more sleek. I have only owned buffs.
~Dylan

~~~

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Clairecanary15 wrote: I have a stool I sit on in my aviary with a treat . .lovely and relaxing. At the moment I dont sit in there because of sitting hens...they get nervous. When I go in every week and clean they still say hi and watch me.
I had to clean a hens bottom the other week and as she was being held with her butt in the warm water the others were sat on my arm and shoulders watching..they are so nosey lol but very cute with it. Hen is good now..she keeps coming up to me on the ledges to say hi.

Claire
Oh that’s so cool that they are friendly with you! I have to be careful of sitting birds at the moment too. I should definitely try hand feeding again sometime tho!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Here’s another pic of my canaries, this time with both of them in the pic. They are a mixture of brighter and lighter colors. Not really just one color.
Attachments
AC4BD3E3-D93B-4C52-8A66-8B168DA2698B.jpeg

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Here’s another one of Lightning. You can see how she has a few shades of orange on her.
Attachments
83C755E0-29BF-4086-B08B-97023FE2FDC3.jpeg

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Hope these pics are a bit better as the first pic may now have shown her colors too well. They are both mixed breed canaries as far as I know.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun May 13, 2018 11:21 pm

All of these birds are soft-feathered
~Dylan

~~~

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Clairecanary15

So I won't be able to help with your question, but I saw that you said you have a diary keeping track of your birds. Have you considered making an account with the Finch Breeder Database? It's free, and lets you keep track of lineages, genetics, age, health, location, source, etc, of each bird. I've been using it for a little over a year, and have found it quite useful.
Thankyou for sending me the link. I have now sorted out myself a record of my birds, chicks etc. Thank you again for your help,

Claire

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Flight Feathers wrote: Here’s another pic of my canaries, this time with both of them in the pic. They are a mixture of brighter and lighter colors. Not really just one color.
Hi Flight Feathers

They are both buff or as Sheather said "soft feather". It is easier to see on the 2nd lot of pictures. They don't sit still do they for an easy picture :)

They do not have the richness of colour of a yellow feather type. They look frosted; are they frosted?

Can I say how cute they both are. Are they a pair? Do they have eggs?
I have 1 hen with 3 independent chicks; same hen with 4 new hatch-lings and another hen who's chicks left the nest today - wow its all very exciting. Wish I could spend all day with them - very relaxing to watch.

When I 1st sat on my stool I popped the treat on my lap and almost crossed my arms - tucking my hands away - mine didnt and still don't like hands. I also diverted my eyes to start with - sort of look at whats on the horizon. Wear long sleeves too - they like to land on clothing or ones head. They like long hair - they tug it lol. They don't land on my bare arms - maybe something to do with getting a good grip,

Claire

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Sheather wrote: Buff canaries have feathers fading to white on their edges, most obvious on their wings, tails and sometimes a ring around the neck paler than the rest of the body. Yellows are usually almost solid everywhere. In real life I have only ever seen two yellows and dozens of buffs. Buffs are fluffier, yellows more sleek. I have only owned buffs.
Hi Thankyou for your reply you have certainly helped my quest ,

I have both buff and yellows. I think I know what I have - pictures are on page 1 - what are your thoughts on Sugar's feather type and Angel's. One is a yellow and one is a buff - can you confirm my thoughts ^:)^

Claire

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Sugar looks yellow and Angel looks Buff.
~Dylan

~~~

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi Dylan

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at Sugar and Angel. You have confirmed what I thought.

Thank you again,

Claire

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Clairecanary15

Glad I could help!