Painting a bird room

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Painting a bird room

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 am

Hi all

Its very quiet on here at the moment hope everyone is ok and not overwhelmed with chick food and a flood of chicks lol...

I am renovating an out building into a brand new bird room. Its very exciting. .I will need to paint the walls once all the work has been done. I have found an odourless paint which is anti fungal too. Would this paint be alright in the bird room..or just a straight forward emulsion?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Painting a bird room

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am

Hi it has been very quiet on here I’ve realized too hope ur doing well a

And any pint shud he fine as long as it doesn’t flake afterwards once dried so they can’t eat it and also make sure when wet it doesn’t go like a liquid they can drink
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi Fraza

Im doing good..been a good 1st year with canaries. I know to some 12 chicks is not much but 1 chick is a 1st for me wow. Hows your season been?

Good point about flaking paint. .how do I prevent flaking? The birds aren't in the room yet so I dont have to worry about them being at risk.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Certain paints do flake and certain ones don’t my dad did mine because he’s in that side of the buissness at building

And Yh thanks for asking my season is going great my Java’s both fledged a clutch and one pair started a new clutch, all my zeb pairs are on eggs now I have one pair of society’s with a clutch hatched and another with eggs, in just waiting on the god dam HECKS AND STARS ARGHHHHH lol
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Fraza,

Wow things are going to get busy for you soon then. What do you feed as chick food. Ive been using eggfood and boiling up the seed and soaking mealworms..seems alot of work but worth it.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:13 am

Clairecanary15 I just have trays of a few things I’ll list them below ( the ones together I put in same tray the others I put in different trays I just leave these out all the time

Oyster grit
Cuttlebone

Egg mix

Mealworm

Mixed seeds
Wild Grass seeds

Mixed green veg
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:56 pm

Clairecanary15 I found this article on the difference between VOC, low VOC, and odorless paints. Most people who have posted here about painting bird rooms, cages, or aviaries have used paints that are recommended for chiildren's rooms, as they will be safer.

"People are often confused about low VOC and odorless paint. You might have heard both the terms hundred times when handling an interior or exterior painting project, but don’t have complete idea about what they actually are. Manufacturers often advertize these paint types, but are they really helpful? Homeowners with a proper knowledge on the differences between low VOC and odorless paint can actually make better decisions before purchasing the paint products for an interior or exterior painting project.
What are VOC Paints?

The term VOC actually stands for Volatile Organic Compound. VOC compounds generally contain carbon in its molecule. Typically a large numbers of molecules are evaporated in the air from VOC compounds and they can affect air quality. Manufacturers often add VOC to paint for many reasons. The number one reason is to prevent mildew and to extend the shelf-life of the product.
Low VOC Paints:

As per the federal rules, a latex-based paint may contain VOC of a maximum of 250 grams per liter and oil-based paint may contain VOC of a maximum of 380 grams per liter. Paint that contains lower VOC content that the set limit mentioned in federal regulation is considered as low VOC paint. A low VOC paint is often advertised as low odor paint and is popular as a “green choice”. Although a little more expensive than the normal paints, low VOC paints have the same coverage ability as regular paints.
No-VOC or Odorless Paints:

No-VOC paints are known as odorless paints and they can perform as well as paints with low VOCs. However, there are definitely some differences between the two. These differences are as following:
Unlike low-VOC paints, walls that are painted in odorless paint should not be cleaned with any chemical based cleaning products. In fact, once the initial paint application is done, no-VOC or odorless paint should not be cleaned for 30 days. However, you can use a solution of mild soap or detergent powder and water to clean the surface painted in odorless paint?

Since no-VOC or odorless paint contains no fungicides, they are subject to micro-bacterial contamination. This is the reason why the professional painting contractors suggest that the painting tools not be put directly into the paint can.
With no-VOC or odorless paints, more coats are necessary in order to achieve the same results as regular low-VOC paints. Odorless paint should also be kept in a separate container and should be stored in a cool place. However, there are no such conditions with low-VOC paints."
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:01 am

Hi Sally

Thank you so much for the information on paint and their different types and properties. I have a childs paint in mind but needed to be sure it was ok to use. With your information and the other welcomed advice I can make a well informed choice

Thank you again