Feather/Health

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Feather/Health

Post by canary3000 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:12 am

I noticed one of my canary's feather condition rather odd. Feathers were not plush and bouncy looking. Instead clumped together. Like it was greasy or wet looking. Upon removing the bird, I took a closer look. The breast area had no feathers of any kind. The feathers folded over the breast area, from its sides, but nothing grew out of the breast area. Like a comb over. Its siblings are healthy looking. It did eat and fly perfectly fine. This is an area where there might be some disagreement. Rather than returning it to the flight cage with the other birds, I decided to cull it. It was not an easy decision, but I did not feel comfortable keeping it with my "healthy" birds. I hope nothing was passed on during its time. I could have brought it to a vet, google information or even wait and see. I did have some coconut oil (not in liquid form) in a finger dish. Maybe I screwed up and it was nothing serious. Hindsight I probably should have waited a few days. But I felt best, at that time, to eliminate a potential risk to the rest of the flock. I still feel a bit sad.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Feather/Health

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 am

What feather type are the parents of the culled bird in question? Omg you were brave

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Feather/Health

Post by wildbird » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 pm

You killed your bird because the feathers didn't look right! In my opinion, you shouldn't have any birds.