Male Canaries

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Male Canaries

Post by canary3000 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:07 am

I have several cages with dividers (both solid and screen dividers). Is it best to keep males from visually being able to see each other. Or is keeping them separate enough.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Male Canaries

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 am

Males can coexist. I have 2 in the bachelor cage. I have 3 in the aviary...if the males get along generally they are fine. I have 2 brothers than cannot be together. If you know your birds it can be worked out

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 pm

If you are trying to breed it’s better if they can’t see eachtoher so the put can focus on there selves instead of looking aside them and swing the other pair
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:10 pm

I agree with Fraza. If my male Canaries are in breeding condition and separated only by a wire partition, they spend almost all their time squabbling through the wire.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Rob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm

In my experience, allowing them to hear each other will cause them to compete with each other to sing the loudest, but right next to each other they could fight. Unless they're side by side they don't fight (I've had males in cages within 6 inches of each other with no problems), and I've had some males coexist in a flight cage without problems, and I've had females that can't be in the same cage. Every bird is different, so try it out if you're curious and observe.