Help with canary calls

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Birdlover2018
Pip
Pip

Help with canary calls

Post by Birdlover2018 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 am

I'm back with another question. I've had my canary for a few months now and I looked up canary calls today. I found this audio of a female canary making a mating call: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbEgdwRswaE. My canary (which I believe is a female since it makes a familiar call) makes this call whenever it comes and lands back on its cage. It seems like she does it out of happiness rather than looking for a mate though.

So my question: Could anybody help me with figuring out if she is trying to find a mate or if she is making the call because she is happy?

P.S. If anybody has info on other types of calls a canary makes I would like to know as well please. I'm trying to figure out the body language and sounds a canary makes.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Help with canary calls

Post by Sheather » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:22 am

Many noises we attribute to happiness in birds are really much more direct. The male sings to attract a hen. The female chirps to attract a cock. It's in their nature to find a partner.
~Dylan

~~~

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi

It does sound like a mating call. I have an aviary with canaries in, a mixed flock over 20 in number (all much loved) The sound in the clip you attached got the attention of my cockbirds..very amusing but quickly paused it as breeding season is over now. So yes definitely the mating call. I like to watch my canaries behaviour and learn their sounds too. The sound in the clip is a soft sound..I have heard 2 hens do this sound but in another different way..louder with more attitude when they demand help from the cockbird to feed their chicks. They make another sound which is an alarm..I can say it but cant spell it grr something like meh meh meh..each short and abrupt..over and over again. All my hens chatter to me and one sings lovely in a low warbly tune..very pretty sounding. Hens sing in short lower bursts than cock birds. Cockbirds do a courtship dance of sorts to a hen when she is interested.

Hope this helps

Claire

Birdlover2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Birdlover2018 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. The sound she makes is slightly different from the video but it confuses me because I don't have another canary and she only makes it when she comes back to land on her cage or is slightly excited.