Canary Health Question

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Birdlover2018
Pip
Pip

Canary Health Question

Post by Birdlover2018 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:47 pm

My canary went into a little bit of a fit this after. He flew around preening himself here and there. He also does this little thing where he picks his feet up with his beak (preens it a little) and then tucks it into his body. I don't think he was doing this to rest though.
Secondly, he has sometimes been moving his head somewhat slowly. Could he just be tired?

If anybody could help me to figure out if my canary is sick that would be appreciated.

I plan on taking him to an avian vet very soon for a checkup and so they can clip his nails (I believe they are bothering him).

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Canary Health Question

Post by Clairecanary15 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:20 am

Hi

He sounds a bit disoriented. How old is he?

Signs of a poorly canary,
Does he seem well?
Does he sleep excessively?
Are his feathers fluffed up?
Tail bobbing.. when he breaths does his tail move up and down?
Excessive eating..or not eating?

A good idea taking him to the vets if the above are apparent.

His foot..has he hurt it? Is it red, sore? Does he have a ring where a seed could have got caught?
Do you give him mite treatment?

Claire

Birdlover2018
Pip
Pip

Post by Birdlover2018 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:46 pm

I believe he is only around a year and something old. He seems pretty fine today. I am taking him to the vet for a checkup. As I haven't done one since I got him 3-4 months ago.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:54 am

I hope the check up goes ok and it is a good sign he is fine.

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 am

Hi. I give my canaries S76 in their water once a month. Also KD water cleaner in their water and bath 3 times a month and regularly worm them each month. I also give them Megamix on a regular basis when not giving them anything else. I get all that from Rob Marshall who is a vet in Australia. I think you could probably get it in the UK or US. When you go to the Vet I suggest you ask him about the additives. I assume you give him a good diet of top class seed mix, tonic mix and greens and fruit. Also if he is walking around the floor in the house make sure there is nothing on the floor he can eat. Your house may be spotlessly clean but remember you can walk all kinds of things inside on your shoes.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.