Canary personality

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Re: Canary personality

Post by Clairecanary15 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi

I have hens who sing beautifully. They do have more of a warble tone too and softer.

I always say the bigger the cage the better..afterall they have wings to fly. A flight cage is ideal for a lone cockbird or lone hen.

Canaries like variety..a natural branch to tug at. .yes a swing too. Mirrors send my males over the edge. Canaries need different thicknesses in perches to work the muscles. Wider perches help a canary to rest their feet too. A healthy canary needs an inch thick pole to roost on..no open nest unless you are thinking of breeding.

Birds travel easily. I pop a loose cover over mine to keep them calm during travel. Canaries can tolerate up to -8 as long as the temperature difference isnt a sudden change from say 22 to -1 then you will be just fine.

A canary staying with a friend while you are away is nice for the canary..they get a change of scene too. As long as their feeding routine is the same with extra treats he or she will have a great time. My husband is quiet loving too..he loves our canaries. ..they are very calming.