Canary personality

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Canary personality

Post by FinchLady » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Canaries (cage rather than aviary): Do they have active, entertaining personality like Societies or more aloof, quiet like Lady Gouldians? Would a single Canary be happy in indoor cage rather than aviary?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Canary personality

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:20 am

FinchLady

Yes.

A male Canary, can be housed in a cage and be content on his own.

He will sing, enjoy a swing, and love a cage with enough room to fly around in.
Also if you spend time talking to him and sitting close to his cage on a daily basis, he will come to recognize you and enjoy your time together. He might even come to accept some spray millet and other treats from your hand, if you're patient enough.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

lovezebs Thank you. Canary cage would be next to my desk in our home office where I used to have Society cage. Considered a Budgie but decided at this time of my life I want to enjoy watching and listening to birds rather than try to tame /handle them. Thinking a single Canary may be less messy than 5-9 Societies as well...at least I hope so. (that's what I'm selling to my reluctant husband) lol

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm

FinchLady

I think you'll enjoy a Canary.

They're sweet birds to have around, and a happy boy will sing for you from morning till night.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 am

Canaries are dear little birds. If they are young and looked after properly they will be very playful and inquisitive. As mentioned they will do anything for a bit of millet lol. They are not cuddly birds but there is always the exception..I had a face huggle with my blue, the other week. I stroke him too. I havent gone out to part tame him. It is his choice. Some boys are very laid back. One is certainly less messy than 2 together. Seed does get pinged though.

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:26 pm

I have 15 fifes. Observing them you notice their individual personalities. For example. I have a large square dish with water for them to bathe. One will immediately jump in and look like he's swimming. Another just touches the surface. Another will nudge another into the water. While another takes advantage of the spray from the other birds, without having to go in. They are gentle, naughty, curious, steal, and can get upset. I love every minute of the time I spend with them. My male canaries have seperate cages and are happy as can be. A canary can pull at your heart strings when they sing!!!

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 pm

lovezebs@Clairecanary15@canary3000: Thank you- I'm sold! I used to think Canaries were too high maintenance due to need for fancy, timed lighting. But thanks to Dave, I reconsidered. Now after your comments on personality, I'm convinced a Canary would be 'easy' enough for this retired lady of a certain age, (ummm-hummm), to handle. Haven't seen any Canaries at local pet stores recently but now will be watching more closely.

Clairecanary15
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Clairecanary15 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:42 pm

canary3000 wrote: I have 15 fifes. Observing them you notice their individual personalities. For example. I have a large square dish with water for them to bathe. One will immediately jump in and look like he's swimming. Another just touches the surface. Another will nudge another into the water. While another takes advantage of the spray from the other birds, without having to go in. They are gentle, naughty, curious, steal, and can get upset. I love every minute of the time I spend with them. My male canaries have seperate cages and are happy as can be. A canary can pull at your heart strings when they sing!!!
Beautifully put and all so true. I have 23 fifes and I can watch them all day long. They are all in the aviary..x2 lol. They are mixed males and females and live in harmony. I love watching their individual ways..very therapeutic.

Males and females are as beautiful as each other.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am

For my quiet-loving husband, would you recommend a female over a male? Any difference in personality?

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:56 am

When we are away for weekends, a friend will take care of Canary in her home. Do Canaries tolerate change in surroundings or would it be too stressful?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm

FinchLady

Males sing, females do not.

Most people usually want a Canary for it's song, so that's something for you to consider.

Your Canary should be fine with a change in surroundings, but really have to watch that it doesn't get chilled while in transit.
~Elana~

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm

I didn't have any problem transporting my Societies by car to Vet for boarding. I covered the cage with heavy tablecloth. Often my males would sing in the car. Birds would flutter/bounce around cage for a few minutes when uncovered but then were fine with new surroundings- rather curious, actually. Didn't know if Canary would be more or less sensitive to new surroundings/people. As far as male/female, I had read females have a warble/ soft chirp, while some males can really belt out a song at a high volume. Think I'll play some more Utube for my husband....see what he thinks.
Thank you all for the information!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm

FinchLady

Your Canary should be fine in a covered cage, depending on what sort of temperatures you get during the Winter months.

By all means, listen to many different Canary videos before you make your decision.
~Elana~

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:05 am

In regards to noise, the female would be more quiet. But lacks the wonderful sounds that make canaries famous. My boys can get very loud. I mean ear piercing loud with their song. Especially when I enter the bird room. It can get so loud I could use some cotton for my ears. They sing all year long.

FinchLady
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by FinchLady » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm

canary3000@Clairecanary15: While playing recordings of Canary songs, my husband reacted positively to a Fife, which happens to be my favorite as well. Can you give me advice on cage size and setup for a single male Canary in a pet cage? I've seen contradictory information regarding toys, mirrors, open sleeping nest. The only item everyone agrees on is a swing. Do Canaries like preening toys with the strings? Should I avoid buying from a chain pet store?