picking at feet A LOT

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

picking at feet A LOT

Post by goldfinchowl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:04 pm

One of my female canary picks at her feet A LOT since I got her. She seemed to be doing it less but today has been really at it again.

Pictures below

Of course when I go to take her picture she moves away. Best pictures I could manage

Do her feet and legs look ok.

The other one was very puffed up all morning which she hadn't been before.

They were born either this year or last year. Young birds

Worried beginner bird mom
Attachments
20181010_133410.jpg
20181010_133410-1.jpg

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: picking at feet A LOT

Post by wildbird » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 pm

The first thing I would do is get rid of those perches. They look very uncomfortable, and look like plastic. Either use regular wooden dowel perches or something more natural like dragonwood or natural tree branches. Is there a band on the bird's leg"? If there is, it might be too tight or otherwise causing irritation. Also, don't use sanded perches, as they irritate the foot. Just changing the perches might help. The more natural you keep the bird's environment, the healthier and happier it is likely to be.

goldfinchowl
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by goldfinchowl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 am

wildbird - thank you

Tho I will actually be getting rid of the wood perches. The canary may have leg mites from what i read online and wood is a natural place for them to hide/burrow in.

The perches are vision cage and are made to be comfortable to birds feet and varied in shape.
They r not your old slippery type plastic perches.
They r removable from outside the cage which reduces stress to the birds, and easier to wash since wood perches pooo sticks to them and they r hard to dry which could cause mold/mildew build up which would be very bad for the birds.

I used to like wood perches until I found these.

The one thing I don't like about the new perches is that some silly designer of them decided to leave the inside hollow and that makes it hard to clean the inside parts where the perch narrows especially.

If it is feet/leg mites is it likely to be just on feet?

I've ordered some S76 but is that just for air sac mites?

How do I naturally and Without having to catch her and All the birds in the cage with her treat her for feet mites?

Anything safe I can put in bath?

I have Avian Liquidator it says 1 to 20 part
Is that 20 ounces of water for 1 ounce Avian?
That I can do cage with but not sure about birds, society very small no way can really avoid eyes safely if try to spray.

DE food grade work for mites? Bottom of cage for feet?

Anything else?

I don't see 2nd canary biting feet at all. Got them from same breeder but don't know if they were kept in different locations. But since they r together

General mite treatment for all birds in cage without catching?
Is S76 and Avian Liquidator, plus cleaning everything of course, enough?

I've ordered 2 more cages to separate birds do to problems. Hopefully less stress will also help them.

I read could also be Vitamin A deficiency?

New to this. Worried.
With young gouldian what safest as precaution for them also. They seem fine but likely good to treat them also?

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm

I do not believe these birds have mites. It is likely you will cause problems by treating for something they don't have. All drugs have unwanted side effects.

mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Post by mick1933 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi. I assume you give your birds a bath. Get some KD Water Cleaner put out by Rob Marshall an Aussie Vet and add to bath water once a week and also in their drinking water the same day. I have been using it for several years and found it to be really helpful for feather mite etc. You should be able to get it in the US. I also use human or animal grade diatomaceous earth, AKA Fossil Shell Flour. Humans and birds can eat it without any problems. I have a dish of it in my aviary at all times and the birds love it. I also use it on perches, cracks in timber etc where mite can hide. I bought a brush that women use to put on their face powder to brush it into the cracks etc. I also use it on my nesting material and it stops mite from getting into the nests. I suggest you read up on it on the internet. Both these, together with S76 and a wormer, should go a long way to solving most of your problems. For good measure I use another of Rob Marshall's products, Megamix, in the drinking water almost daily. Hope this is of some help.
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.