Orange canary help

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
Asherjon88
Pip
Pip

Orange canary help

Post by Asherjon88 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 am

So I got a light orange canary as a gift. I have never had an orange canary. I do have a red factor and yellow American singer. I color feed my red factor, is there anything I could possibly give my light orange canary to help keep his orange color or get his color to be more orange. Any help to make sure this new guy does well.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Orange canary help

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:33 pm

The orange Canaries I've had were just red-factor Canaries that hadn't been color fed.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Your new red factor canary can be color fed with canthaxanthin (available on-line) to deepen the color but it's best done in the molting season when the new feathers are coming in. It's usually added to the water but you can also add small amounts to nestling food for darker red or orange babies.
Most of my canaries are a natural orange color but I do add a little color food in the fall for an even darker orange- particularly in the birds that are frost color (orange/white). Color food is expensive and highly concentrated so you only need to use a little to get good results. Other birds without the red factor gene will not be affected.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Asherjon88
Pip
Pip

Post by Asherjon88 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Ok cool I will do that. Since my red factor is color fed already this should be the same then. Thanks!