Canary eggs removal

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
manley
Pip
Pip

Canary eggs removal

Post by manley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:39 pm

i have a red factor canary laying eggs in a double breeding cage im removing the first 3 & replacing with dummy eggs my hen seems to be laying every other day out of interest how long can i remove eggs for ive read online 7 days max before i need to replace them :?:

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Canary eggs removal

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 am

Put the real eggs back soon after she lays the third egg.

Even if they lay another one or two eggs, this will allow the young to hatch close enough to each other that there isn't likely to be a chick too small to compete with its nest mates.

By the way, these first year hens seldom actually raise young out of the first nest. I let them go through the entire cycle, though, even if they are sitting on infertile eggs. After 15 days or so they'll abandon the infertile nest and get ready for the next round.

I also leave the male with the female through the entire season. I've never had trouble with that. In your double breeder cage, are you keeping the two separate?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

manley
Pip
Pip

Post by manley » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Dave wrote: Put the real eggs back soon after she lays the third egg.

Even if they lay another one or two eggs, this will allow the young to hatch close enough to each other that there isn't likely to be a chick too small to compete with its nest mates.

By the way, these first year hens seldom actually raise young out of the first nest. I let them go through the entire cycle, though, even if they are sitting on infertile eggs. After 15 days or so they'll abandon the infertile nest and get ready for the next round.

I also leave the male with the female through the entire season. I've never had trouble with that. In your double breeder cage, are you keeping the two separate?
hi Dave ive bred from this pair last year but this year the hen was laying every other day i have both birds in one side of a double breeding cage together,ive also have some fife canaries a very fit cock bird but a hen that doesn't seem too interested at the moment never bred fifes as yet

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:43 pm

I've had much better breeding results from pairs that are in a large cage, or even flying free in a room / walk-in aviary. I think the flying exercise helps, but there are probably other factors as well.

And as always----are you controlling the number of hours of daylight? If you are in the Northern hemisphere, your birds should be receiving 12 hours of light now. And dark for 12 hours. My Canaries don't successfully breed until 13 hours of light, or sometimes even more. For me, that is about mid-April.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries