Healthy pairings for dominant white canary, and buff/yellow?

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
kimikeef
Pip
Pip

Healthy pairings for dominant white canary, and buff/yellow?

Post by kimikeef » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Hello! I posted here a few months ago when I was setting up a larger cage for my darling little American Singer. He's settled in quite well and is bold and happy (although whoever suggested that coco husk substrate would be too messy... you were absolutely correct!) I would love to get a mate for him eventually but after a little reading about dominant whites, I'm unsure what color would ensure humane and healthy breeding if/when they mate. It sounds as if anything but another dominant white would be acceptable, is that correct?

I am also unsure whether he is buff or yellow - I detect no yellow bleeding through on his cheeks but I am not experienced in telling the difference! A link to imgur, as I could not get the images to link correctly - http://imgur.com/a/qScMM3w

Last note: I have never bred canaries before. My mother did, but as I recall none of the chicks survived and the hen did not live a particularly long life. I suspect the hen was older, possibly 4 or 5 at the time my mother got her, but it may have been a lack of proper diet. I would hate to cause harm like that and I believe I understand the basic lighting, temperature, dietary and nest requirements for breeding, but if any of you with more experience could chime in on 1) when it would be best to introduce a hen and 2) any common mistakes and problems you are familiar with, I would greatly appreciate it. I am still reading. Thank you for your patience, I know this is a rather long and inexperienced post. Feel free to tell me I'm moving too fast!

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: Healthy pairings for dominant white canary, and buff/yel

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:29 pm

I'll do my best to help.

First, as far as feather type goes, instead of buff vs yellow, you should look at frosted vs intensive. From the looks of it, your male is intensive (or "yellow" if it was a type canary). This means shorter feather length and brighter color (which isn't as evident with white dominants). So your female should be frosted, and most people would recommend a yellow canary paired with white dominant. You can do anything though, except for white dominant as that would be lethal to the chicks. Mosaic is a third feather type, that can also be paired, although both intensive and white dominant cover up the mosaic gene (offspring will be carriers). If you're not concerned about specific mutations, I'd recommend another american singer, but honestly any frosted hen you like the look of is what you should choose, and you'll get offspring that match your individual preference.

Second, it's recommended to only allow 2 clutches per year, sometimes 3. Provide lots of calcium during breeding (year round as well, but it definitely needs to be available during breeding) and then provide a high protein diet during breeding and molting. Winter season cut back to help put them into winter mode, and make sure the lighting is reduced to match nature. If you buy a new bird, it's best to quarantine it for at least week. Others will recommend longer, but it's up to you to gauge the risk. Provide a nest, and nest materials, and they'll do the rest. 12 hours of light and egg/veggies (carrots and broccolli are staples for me) will stimulate breeding. Don't be discouraged if it takes a while for them to become interested in each other.

Lastly, you're not moving too fast. It's great you're excited and it sounds like your bird(s) are in great hands. Best of luck! Keep us updated :)

kimikeef
Pip
Pip

Re: Healthy pairings for dominant white canary, and buff/yel

Post by kimikeef » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:33 am

Thanks for the tips! I was trying to judge feather type based on a post on the Canary Tales blog, but I'm really not familiar enough with the difference to judge myself - not in a white canary based on feather shape alone. I'll have to go shop for some nesting supplies and keep an eye out for a nice frosty lady to keep him company, thank you.

Here's hoping they continue to get along after breeding season ends - the cage is fairly large and he gets plenty of light, so hopefully they'll settle into a good rhythm.

Broccoli is his absolute favorite, especially when it's bolting!