Cock Canaries

Although they are technically passerines, canaries tend to be managed uniquely, so here is a forum just for them!
glenpens
Pip
Pip

Cock Canaries

Post by glenpens » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 am

I have an outside Aviary and I am not really wanting to bread. Is it possible just to keep Male Canaries?

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: Cock Canaries

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:43 pm

Depending on the space, and maybe just depending on the strain of Canaries you have, they'll fight during breeding season.

I have an aviary that is 18' x 6' (5.5 meters x 1.8 meters). It has a few dozen Canary hens, and 4 or 5 males. The males squabble but there is plenty of room for them to get away from each other. Even then, I keep an eye out for battles.

Outdoor aviary--where are you located? What is your coldest winter temperature?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

glenpens
Pip
Pip

Post by glenpens » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks. They have been down to -3 this winter and although it was cold they were out of the wind and they were ok. I only have a small Aviary 6ft x 6ft. I don't particularly want to bread but would like the males to sing. Is there an answer to this.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 am

If you can find a Canary breeder, perhaps get some birds that are from the same nest or the same parents. I don't know if that will work, though.

Sometimes a timid male won't sing if there is a dominant male near him.

Just put the birds in there and keep a good eye out for fights in the spring. Have a few feeding & watering stations so one bird can't claim all the food. Maybe have some brush or fake plant partitions so a bird can hide if necessary.

Mostly, try it and just watch for problems.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

glenpens
Pip
Pip

Post by glenpens » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks, just have to try it.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am

glenpens

Right now I have several Canary males in a flight cage without any issues. They're all singing like crazy, and no major issues.

If I see someone causing trouble, he will be removed to a different flight.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

glenpens
Pip
Pip

Post by glenpens » Thu May 02, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks