Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Re: Should I, Or Shouldn't I???

Post by Nerine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:47 pm

lovezebs

WOW! I guess I won't be getting a lovebird ever. And I thought when Mango (a budgie I used to have) bit me, that was painful!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:57 pm

I don't bite. Anymore. :lol: Still working through the other things with my therapist.

I haven't had them personally, but know several folks who have. I worked at a pet store many, many years ago and we sold a LOT of birds. It was a good education on a lot of different types of birds, as well as other pets I will never have in my house... :)

Yes, much worse than a budgie. I would say it's not quite as bad as a Lovebird, but worse than a cockatiel. I've seen a parrotlet attack an African Grey. They are fearless little buggers. But again, they are cute and cuddly - as long as you're the person they like!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:10 pm

lovezebs
"
**whispers in your ear ** "Get a male from one clutch and a female from the other.....psttttt"

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Babs

My thoughts exactly. Might as well keep your options open.
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:41 pm

DamonIRB

Ah, I'd like to think I'm likeable...... :-SS :-S

Glad to hear that the Parrotlet/Human personality issues are being worked on, uhemmm....

Just out of curiosity, what birds and or pets from the Pet Store would you never have?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Babs Nerine

I had actually already thought of that ladies (give credit where it's due) lol.

However, it seems wrong somehow to have to pay double the amount of one for the other.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:08 am

lovezebs wrote: DamonIRB

Just out of curiosity, what birds and or pets from the Pet Store would you never have?
At this point, I would never have a large parrot (African Grey, Amazon, Macaw, etc.) They live too dang long! I'd have to put them in my will and who knows if the person(s) who agreed to be responsible for them today still would be in X years? I love those birds, but wouldn't want to put any person or bird through that kind of re-homing experience. And I've had my fill of Lovebirds. The Fischer's we had a few years ago did me in. :) Cockatiels are still my favorite though. I would LOVE to have a white-face gray! :shock:

Outside of birds - ferrets, lizards, crabs... just not into that kind of pet.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:47 am

DamonIRB

Regarding the large long lived parrots, I know what you mean.

My former neighbor, had, or rather still has a beautiful five year old Gray . He is actually in the Will to the three young daughters, if and when the time comes.

I also happened to meet a darling Amazon, at the Humane Society a couple of years ago. She had been left an orphan, when her elderly lady owner passed away.

What was rather funny in a sad sort of way, was that she took to me in a heartbeat, sidling up, playing with my hair, talking, laughing in a little old lady cackle, and just being a sweetheart. The workers were absolutely amazed, seeing as she had been very aggressive to everybody in the shelter.

If I'd had the $700 (her adoption fee), I might have brought her home with me to rule over the household, but sadly I didn't....

So you don't like Lovebirds??? BUT WHYYYY? Such beautiful little darlings, tee hee hee :twisted:
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am

lovezebs

I've read that parrotlets are really difficult to tame when not hand-fed, especially if you have two. An acquaintance of mine bought a baby 4 years ago, it still bites and is terrified of hands. I would only recommend hand-fed babies.
~Dylan

~~~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:06 am

lovezebs

Price is not great. But the timing is magical for a nice breeding pair. Then you make some wonderful handraised tame babies. ;)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:14 am

Well Everyone.....

After doing a lot of reading and research, and giving it a lot of thought, I actually decided "not" to go after the Parrotlets :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yes, they are super cute. Yes, the price is very good, and yes everything in me is screaming I WANT THE PRETTY BIRDIES, I WANT THE PRETTY BIRDIES.... :(( :(( :((

However, I don't think they're right for me. I get the feeling, that they are similar to Lovebirds in temperment, and I just couldn't handle that ever again.

In the future, I will keep my eyes open for a Linnie (s), who is much more suited to me .

And no Babs , you don't need to send Bubba over in a 4x4 Ambulance to my house, lol.
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:20 am

Sheather and Babs

Didn't see you guys there until after I posted up above....

As you can see, I decided on :-Q on the Parrotlets.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:26 am

lovezebs

Okay, dont mind me. I'm going to feel sorry for myself now. :(( I was on a two day "high" dreaming about teeny parrotlet babies, and pictures. **giggle

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:36 am

Babs

Well honey, keep your toes crossed for a Linnie or two for your friend.

I think little Kenzie, still lives in my heart, and whispers in my ear that Linnies are the way to go....
Attachments
20160418_181345.jpg
20160419_121047-1.jpg
20160415_173936-2.jpg
~Elana~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:43 am

lovezebs wrote: DamonIRB

I also happened to meet a darling Amazon, at the Humane Society a couple of years ago. She had been left an orphan, when her elderly lady owner passed away.

What was rather funny in a sad sort of way, was that she took to me in a heartbeat, sidling up, playing with my hair, talking, laughing in a little old lady cackle, and just being a sweetheart. The workers were absolutely amazed, seeing as she had been very aggressive to everybody in the shelter.
It is funny how birds can sense the people that understand them. I don't think it's looks and I really doubt it is smell. It's more like a vibe they pick up on. We had a good friend with an African Grey who was 100% bonded to him. The bird would begrudgingly let his wife get him out of the cage without biting her, but once he was out he was flying off and wouldn't have anything to do with her. The first time we visited their house, the bird flew straight at me; they thought he was attacking me! He wasn't though. He landed on the back of the chair in front of me and started reaching for me. They were amazed that he would let me hold him, pet him, check for quells on the back of his neck. I was in my 30's and our friend was in his early 60's. We looked nothing alike. Birds know. I have no clue how, but they know!
So you don't like Lovebirds??? BUT WHYYYY? Such beautiful little darlings, tee hee hee :twisted:
Oh, sweet fancy Moses... they were beautiful but wanted NOTHING to do with anything but each other. They freaked out when you changed their water/food and they wouldn't leave the cage even with the cage door propped open. Those two were nuts...