English Budgies ?

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Cath1068
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

English Budgies ?

Post by Cath1068 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I have been drooling over them after every bird show I go too and I am seriously considering getting myself a breeding pair. I just have a few questions..... Are they an easy to breed bird or do they need lots of help. As far as housing what would be the best cage type for them. I met I really nice breeder at the last show and I fell in love with one of his blues and I may just call him and ask him to hold him for me..... :D I really trust your guys opinion which is why I am asking here first..... :D

Cath

4zeebirds
Nestling
Nestling

Re: English Budgies ?

Post by 4zeebirds » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh my, blue english budgies are gorgeous.

In my opinion, they do require patience to breed. For us, they have always been slower to "get with the program" that regular budgies. So, it has always been a good thing for us that we enjoy their personality and their conformation! :) I would say our regular parakeets breed twice the rate as our english budgies. We bred them in the past and just recently started again. We have found it difficult to find english budgies around here.

You may read they can be bred in an 18x18x18 cage with the nest box on the outside, but I would go larger than that if you have the room. They love to climb around in the cage so taller is better. And they love to chew. Have you had any experience with budgies? English budgies are more laid back than the regular parakeet. I don't know about other people's experience, but I find budgies are very stubborn in trying new foods - compared to our finches. So, in trying to feed them greens, and egg food and other things that might entice them to breed takes time.

Oh, and the other and maybe most important is they must be mature, or they are not much interested in anything but playing. Close to a year old.

You might ask the breeder if they know of any recent ideas in encouraging breeding in the english budgie?
Sandy
Societies - Fawn Pied, Chocolate Pied, Chocolate Self, Fawn Self, Chestnut Pied
Zebra Finches - Normal Gray, Black Cheeked, Fawn
Parakeets
2 Cockatiels - Normal and White-faced Pearl
2 Canaries - Crested American Singer and Timbrado
1 husband

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: English Budgies ?

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am

English budgies are beautiful! The man who used to run the Fort Worth Bird Mart was one of the most respected breeders in this part of the country, and there are still many breeders in this area working with his bloodlines.

Since these are hookbills and not finches, I will move this to Off-topic, though.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org