New Hookbill Forum

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Mick M.
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: New Hookbill Forum

Post by Mick M. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi folks , :D delighted to find a hookbill section on the forum =D>
I keep and breed some cockatiel's and lovebird's and am sure i'll have some question's needing answer's . #-o :-?
Im new enough to the forum , joined for finch issues and loving the content , keep up the great work . \M/
Regard's Mick M.

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:28 pm

This "new hookbill forum" (i realize the thread is a few years old) but how do i get there? Can anyone direct me to where to go, or am I on it? Sorry, I'm just a little confused. Also, anyone suggest other places to go for Hookbill info, as I am going to be purchasing a Parrotlet sometime in September, and I am the type to get ALL of the info that will fit into my little brain BEFORE I am actually responsible for another life.... then, once I have the bird.... freak out twice as much, and harrass the heck out of all you fine people!!! (just ask all the finch people that were SICK of me!!! lol Any suggestions is much appreciated, thank you!!!
-Current Finch Lover, Soon to be Hookbill Lover <3

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:59 pm

lnlovesorange if you go on the board index, scroll all the way down to the 'other' column. Then, you should see 'All Things Hookbill'
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:39 am

I need to remember to look at dates - I was sooo confused about the new hookbill canary forum etc and all the fuss etc. Then I realized this was an old thread revived. #-o Good to know we hookbill people did not mess up the forum. :wink:
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
gold-breasted waxbill 2 pr
cordon bleu blue capped, 2 pr, 1 M
cordon bleu red cheeked M
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
gouldian red head norm. M, yellow white breast M
green singer M
canary, gloster, corona, blue pied, M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:09 am

Sorry Derk Totally my fault, I am thinking about getting a parrotlet so i started browsing around looking for hookbill stuff, and I kind of revived this 3 year old "New HookBill" thread, sorry about that, if I was the one that screwed it up!!! :oops:

@delray That is where we are right now, (All things hookbill is where I posted these comments, and you answered me back) where you just directed me, so it is still IN the Finchforum, it's just got it's own set of threads and comments.... I thought I was going to be led to a different website all together.... I guess I was just confused. Thanks for the info Brian, always so helpful!!!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:22 am

Just FYI, originally this was just a forum for finches, and finches will remain the main focus. However, many of our members have other species, and we received requests to set up separate forums for those species. Though there will not be 'complete' forums similar to the FINCHforum, with separate sections for breeding, diet, housing, etc., it was decided to have these smaller forums for the other species.

There are probably other forums out there for hookbills, canaries, doves and quail with much more information, ours were simply added as a place that members could share information about their other birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:42 pm

lnlovesorange
You did not screw anything up. As a matter of fact, I recently revived an old thread because I thought it was interesting and I thought newer members would also like to see it.

Sally
Definitely lots of hookbill forums - and many specific to the species.
But I like what you have done here. :D And besides you are all so nice. =D>
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:01 pm

There is nothing wrong with reviving old threads, as there is much information to be had there. As long as members pay attention to the fact that some of these topics were started by members who are no longer around, it can be helpful to add to these old topics. Many topics were started by very experienced members. Just because they are no longer around doesn't mean we can't learn from their expertise.

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Sally
And to have a second look at the dates, if something appears a little off. :wink:
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Post by lnlovesorange » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am

Derk I've done that so many times.... I've literally had an entire screen full of a comment back to someone then right before clicking submit I'd look up and see that the last time they posted (the last comment in the thread) was from like Dec. 2013, and I'd be like "ugh...." and delete the entire comment!!! SO, ever since I did that .... two, or three times, i ALWAYS look at dates now!!! ahahahah... Thanks Sally for the info, I think that is a great idea, for the members of finchforum who have hookbills (which is what I will be soon) first and foremost, I'm a finch girl!!! Thanks again!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 am

Again, even if it is an old thread, there is nothing wrong with reviving it, as long as members are aware that it may do no good to mention or ask questions of the original poster, since they may not be around. Good advice never gets old!

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:56 pm

lnlovesorange
I agree with Sally. I have sent posts to people who commented in old threads. Sometimes I get a response and sometimes I don't. No harm in trying. So next time, don't delete! Even if the original poster doesn't respond someone else might read what you wrote and a whole new discussion can get started. It may even be better than the first. :)
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
green singer M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

Lucille
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Lucille » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:02 am

DanteD716 wrote: I love it Liz!!! I just hope they do not disturb our finch talk.. I have heard harsh things abot people on hookbill forums
I've been debating whether to disclose that shortly after getting the finches I got some keets.
I've found a keet site, and I have to say that it is well run, well moderated and most are careful of each other's feelings.
There are many poorly run bird sites, but I don't think the poor behavior at those sites has to do with the kind of birds kept.

I personally think that prejudice against owners of particular kinds of birds may be less helpful than a general expectation of courtesy and a strong framework of enforced rules that permit and encourage lively debate and free discussion but prohibit rudeness and foul language.