Perry the Healing Parakeet!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
wearjo
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Re: My little Perry...

Post by wearjo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:21 am

500 bucks!!!??? My avian vet onl;y charges 150!!
-Jono-

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:28 am

Hope he is getting some rest and feel better. Don't let it get into you Shantel - money is not always a solution... Keep us updated first thing in the morning ok?
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 am

My little Perry made it through the nite! I woke up this morning to his little girlfriend sendin lonely little chirps because she cannot get to him inside the box. So heartbreaking! He is still moving around, eating and drinking too. I am goin to keep him in the box, with the lamp on today. His girlfriend, sits on the perch directly over the box and just stares down at him, lettin him know she's there.

Thanks Sally for your words about the vet. Even if he just has to heal on his own, I hope I'm doin the right thing. We just have to wait and see what the vet says in the morning.

Q, it's the catholic schoolgirl guilt that gets me every time! Lol
Shantel

Littlemissfinch
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Littlemissfinch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:45 pm

So happy to hear that he is ok! Like its has been said before, we know how much it costs and that doesn't measure your love. My family is not very well off so its always hard to afford it when we have a member of the family that needs a vet . But i can tell you one thing, love is the greatest healer! I have had many vets say to us that there is nothing they can do or they only have so much time. But with a little love and TLC they bounced back! Nature is crazy! We all know how much you love him :D
Rachel

Nature Knows Best.

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Rachel. He's still eating and drinking well. Trying to get around. He's in a clear box now so that he can see his gf. They are still sending out lonesome chirps to one another.
Shantel

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

wearjo wrote:500 bucks!!!??? My avian vet onl;y charges 150!!
Only? :shock:

Shantel, I know you love your birds but it's not your fault, I am sure most of us cannot afford the vet care or are not willing to pay super high prices, they are kind of insane. I hope little Perry gets better. Have you called the SPCA, they may be cheaper.
Dante

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: My little Perry...Update

Post by FancyFinch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 am

Goin to the vet this morning. He's still eating, drinking, and chattering g away, while hopping around on his good leg. Will keep you posted.
Shantel

Keiness
Pip
Pip

Post by Keiness » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:40 am

When I had to do vet work and couldn't always afford the cost they quoted me, I would call around to other vets and usually found a price I could afford.

I hope he is ok! Best of luck. My Jardine's parrot broke his leg as a baby and the person who was hand raising him set it himself without a vet. It healed and he can use it again...but he set it incorrectly so it healed incorrectly. Now it's permanently fused back and he cant move it forward.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 am

FancyFinch wrote:Goin to the vet this morning. He's still eating, drinking, and chattering g away, while hopping around on his good leg. Will keep you posted.
Shantel, hopefully its a pulled muscle or out of socket. Hopefully he doesnt need amputation. Good luck and keep us posted
Dante

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 am

FancyFinch wrote:Goin to the vet this morning. He's still eating, drinking, and chattering g away, while hopping around on his good leg. Will keep you posted.
Best wishes for him and you .. wait for the news ...
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:39 pm

It is indeed broken. They set it, $100 for about 5 min work and some athletic tape. My hubby could have done that! Now I just have to keep him from chewing the tape! Any ideas? Safe non toxic substance I can use to put on it that tastes gross but is safe? Lol
Shantel

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Hmm... well atleast he is okay! Maybe vegetable oil?
Dante

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:30 pm

He is now sporting a tiny little e-collar fashioned out of ex ray film! He is a very bitey frustrated bird! Lol he is eating and drinking fine. My bird guy said he will be healed within 5-6 days. Crazy they heal so fast!
Shantel

Littlemissfinch
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Littlemissfinch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Thats great that he will be alright! Can you post a pic of the collar? it sounds adorable!
Rachel

Nature Knows Best.

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 pm

I will upload in the morning. It has been a very hectic day. I'm exhausted....poor little birdie is too. :|
Shantel