Bourkes and Splendids

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Bourkes and Splendids

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 am

I am wrapping up the breeding season with the scarlet chesteds and bourkes... the last chick fledged yesterday in the last hung scarlet chested nest. The bourkes are still with young... It has been a great breeding season for all of my grasskeets... except the yellow turquosines... they were just not interested in the box at all... either not mature enough or they just will not bond. Maybe in time.
Here are a few in a color up cage... some going to the store soon and some to the fair.... I have 4 handfed bourkes at the store that are getting so much attention.. 2 being picked up Friday.... seems everyone falls in love with rosey bourkes :D

A recent 2 fledglings with their Dad

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Bourkes and Splendids

Post by bugaboo5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 am

Oh my goodness, gorgeous gorgeous gooooorrrgeous!!!! :D I especially love the Scarlet Chested 'Keets....they are like rainbows with wings. =D>
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:34 am

Very pretty!
Shantel

purplejasminevn
Expecting
Expecting

Post by purplejasminevn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 am

=P~ =P~ =P~ -

rosey bourkes are gone in second at any pet stores in Denver ... They are very sweet little birds .. I am NOt going to say I want them too... well I did say it... =P~ =P~ =P~
Q

Peales,Forbes,Strawberries,Purple Grenadier,BF and RF,Masked grass,BC/RC Cordons,Chestnut Mannikin,Society,GB,Goulds,Owls,Y&R * Senegal Fires,Gray/Green Singers,Yellow-bellied/OC Waxbills, Lavenders,St. Helenas,Pearl Headed/Bronze-W Mannikins,EUGold,Canaries,Chestnut Bellied,Heavy SG Pie & More

FancyFinch
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by FancyFinch » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't think I've ever seen one in person...
Shantel

Pukasand
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Pukasand » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

I have both breeds and they are wonderful birds and great additions to my aviary. My Bourkes are still too young to breed, but my Splendids blessed me with 6 little chicks this year. Thanks for showing your pictures, Candy.. lovely birds.
JUDY

Canary: Blue, Red & Yellow, BC Cordon Bleu, Strawberry, Star, European Goldfinch, Owl, Shaftail, Splendid, Rosey Bourkes, Cocker Spaniel gal, Portuguese Water guy, and a freshwater tank. (no partridge, but I do have a pear tree).

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone.. I realize now that I posted the blurry pictures...
Here are the 4 handfeds (Momma died with 4 young ones still in the nest) That post:
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... est+clutch

They are sooooo sweet. I brought them to the shop last Saturday and 2 are already sold. They will be ready for release this friday.

Ria
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Ria » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 am

what cuties! congrats on all the beautiful birds, Candace. I don't know how you find thte time to do it all! :)
4 zebras Crystal, Beau, Bella and Dmitri (the little squeaker), 2 societies Diva and DJ (and their 6 adult kids), and 2 green singers Thor and Regina

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:17 pm

They are beautiful babies :) I absolutely love both the Bourkes and the Scarlets. I finally had my own babies over the summer ;) Finally!

L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

MLaRue wrote: They are beautiful babies :) I absolutely love both the Bourkes and the Scarlets. I finally had my own babies over the summer ;) Finally!
Oh wow! Congratulations Misty!! So nice to hear from you and that it's good news too! :-) :-) Any pics?
Liz

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks Liz :)

I think I have a few - one of the little guy that was so far behind his two older siblings :) I was bad and didn't photograph like I normally do...

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Wow they are all so vibrant. I wish I could pick up another Bourke and Splendid from you. If you ever visit Houston I'd appreciate it if you'd bring me one of each ;) Or if you happen to know someone who has birds as lovely as yours, I might be satisfied with that :P

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:10 am

Candace,

Can Bourkes and Javas be housed togther by any chance? I know that they are totally different species of bird and it's not something I would normally even consider, but............ my Java cage is so big and it looks so empty. They do eat similar diets and both are relatively peaceful birds. I do love the rosey bourkes and from what I've read they're also pretty quiet. Having both, I figure you'd be the one to ask. :?: Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix
6 adopted stray cats
2 adult, 1 young leopard gecko
4 fish tanks and 4 fish bowls
3 turtles
2 teenage kids and 1 wife

Rispa
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Rispa » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:00 am

From my experience and reading they should be fine. Though I'd be nervous putting any hookbill with finches, I'd probably be most comfortable with this pairing. From what I've read Javas are pretty peaceful and from reading and experience so are Bourkes. Bourkes can have an interested affect on other birds though haha. Mine is with my Splendid and when the Bourke is out of the cage the Splendid moves around and is more active. The Bourke has never been aggressive, just overly playful when he was younger.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:41 am

I had my bourkes with my gouldians without any problem. :)
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56