Bourkes and Splendids

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Dayna
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Bourkes and Splendids

Post by Dayna » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Are rosie bourkes more popular then the normal colored bourkes?
Owls, Goulds, European Goldfinch, Red Belly Siskins and Zebs... For now...

dandidori
Pip
Pip

Post by dandidori » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:17 am

Hi, I am new here and have a few questions on grasskeets,

I will be bringing my first Bourke baby home soon, he is fledging now, when do I know it's time for the safety of the baby?

I am also getting a baby scarlet chested baby for his/her buddy. Different breeder, but the Rosie will be by himself for a few weeks, kinda scares me because I don't want him to freak out being by himself, any suggestions? The Rosie is hand raised and very tame. Was going to bring his/her sibling home also but not knowing sex of either was afraid of mating. My cage is 5' x 2' x 4' tall. Breeder said I could have 4 keets or 2 keets and a few finches. I could get a few goulians right away to put in with the baby Bourke if need be. Sorry for all the questions. So many discissions. Want to make the new babies happy, happy, happy. Thank you all. I'm sure I will have lots of questions

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:44 am

Someone sort of near me is selling off a "proven breeding pair" of rosy bourkes for $75. Says they are 5 years old. (Saw the ad on ebay classifieds). No reason why she is parting with them, nor why they are so inexpensive (it just said "note price reduction").

Are they too old to continue breeding at this age? Why would someone be parting with them so cheaply? What should I look for/look out for if I do get out that way and taking them is a possibility?

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 am

Nerien wrote: Someone sort of near me is selling off a "proven breeding pair" of rosy bourkes for $75. Says they are 5 years old. (Saw the ad on ebay classifieds). No reason why she is parting with them, nor why they are so inexpensive (it just said "note price reduction").

Are they too old to continue breeding at this age? Why would someone be parting with them so cheaply? What should I look for/look out for if I do get out that way and taking them is a possibility?
They live to about 15 so they have a ways to go before they are "old". Why don't you email them and ask why they are getting rid of them. Maybe they just want to concentrate on a different breed.
good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:20 am

They still at age 5 have a few more yrs of breeding time to go, but bear in mind that as they age production and fertilty decrease. If you go to buy them look at the legs, old birds legs look less shiny. &5 for a proven pair of Rosey bourkes is cheap. Generally a Rosey, young can go for 75 to 100 each and more if DNA'd. Consider to....you need to wait a yr to a yr and a half for females to breed, males can be young. This pair is proven. I to would wonder why they are being sold. I would ask, even go to look at them.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

They're about 3 hours drive away from me, but we might be having a reason to go near there soon. She has had them listed since just before Christmas. Did just email her asking why she is parting with them.

Hardest part would be telling hubby and kids that I am adding yet more pets and another cage to the house. Are Bourkes the same size as regular budgies, or a bit bigger, or what? I've seen the size in inches listed, but I find that never really tells the story, considering tails and variations and all. Most of my budgies are regular, but I have a two English Budgies, and while there isn't that much difference in measurable length, the English are definitely bigger and heavier in body size.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:14 pm

Definitely larger then parakeets.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm

She says she is downsizing her Rosy Bourkes because she has too many and they are not in enough demand! Guess that must be a local thing, only. She also says she has over 200 birds, but not what kinds. The pair is healthy and fine, she says, and someone else is coming to look at them at the end of the week, so they may be gone before I know if we're going out that way, but oh well, I really don't have room for more birds anyway (giving Piper and Twinkle (zebras) a nest tomorrow...).

Anyone who can get to Warren, RI and wants Rosy Bourkes cheaply, look on ebay classifieds...

finchlyn
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by finchlyn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 pm

You would love these birds. I do ! They are not big, about the size of a budgie but they have longer tails. I saw the ones that Candace bred at the beginning of this post. She has some at her store and they are beautiful. I am planing an aviary and it will be built this spring. I have already put a deposit on a pair. They are really sweet and they do not bite. Also they can be kept with finches in an aviary. I can't wait to have my rosy pink birds :D

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Anyone who can get to Warren, RI and wants Rosy Bourkes cheaply, look on ebay classifieds...

I worked at the Warren, RI Post Office ( they borrowed me for one week) before transferring to Florida - small world, huh? My mom and dad live 5 minutes from there. Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix
6 adopted stray cats
2 adult, 1 young leopard gecko
4 fish tanks and 4 fish bowls
3 turtles
2 teenage kids and 1 wife