I think I have a problem...

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Re: I think I have a problem...

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm

skyjump100 wrote: LOL Dante, what are you like????? he he. I seem to remember not so long ago you said you were taking a break from having a lot of birds????? You defintely have the bird bug ha ha!!

So far I have been disciplined but getting desperate for a bird I can interact more fully with (finches are great but defo not tame enough for me). so will probably end up with a budgie or cockatiel soon I think. JUts depends how long I can stop myself buying one :D
Lol, that was last year! :^o Lol, you need a teil!
Dante

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Dante

Ria
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Ria » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

nice budgie Dante! pretty soon you'll have a rainbow of them! :lol:

what happened to your other finches? I know you had more than that from the finch & canary show...
4 zebras Crystal, Beau, Bella and Dmitri (the little squeaker), 2 societies Diva and DJ (and their 6 adult kids), and 2 green singers Thor and Regina

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:40 pm

You guys are all too funny! Bob, I didnt know you were into reptiles!

Yeah, I think reptiles are really cool as well. You didn't see the turtle and gecko pics I posted in the "what other pets do you have" topic? Presently, I have a breeding pair of leopard geckos, one baby and several eggs. I also have three aquatic turtles in one of my fish tanks. In the past, I've also had snakes, iguanas, curly tailed lizards and anoles. BTW, I like the new budgie(s). Good luck with them. Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix
6 adopted stray cats
2 adult, 1 young leopard gecko
4 fish tanks and 4 fish bowls
3 turtles
2 teenage kids and 1 wife

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Ria wrote: nice budgie Dante! pretty soon you'll have a rainbow of them! :lol:

what happened to your other finches? I know you had more than that from the finch & canary show...
One of my grassquits died, the male. Same for the society from Martie. The grassquit I wasn't surprised about because he was wild caught, and I found him upside down in his food bowl making me think he choked. No explanation for the society and Martie has already said she will replace it.
30 Seconds to Bob wrote:
You guys are all too funny! Bob, I didnt know you were into reptiles!

Yeah, I think reptiles are really cool as well. You didn't see the turtle and gecko pics I posted in the "what other pets do you have" topic? Presently, I have a breeding pair of leopard geckos, one baby and several eggs. I also have three aquatic turtles in one of my fish tanks. In the past, I've also had snakes, iguanas, curly tailed lizards and anoles. BTW, I like the new budgie(s). Good luck with them. Bob
Oh, ok! I wan't sure if I was remembering correctly. I love leapoard geckos, and had several turtles in the past also! And thank you!
Dante

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 am

Dante,
You must learn to resist this. Stop going to places that sell parakeets until you find a way. I speak from experience. Do you see my list of pets? I know far too well this problem.

We went out to get one pair of parakeets. Now I have sixteen. You cannot hear yourself think in our living room. You can hear them outside the house even when all windows and doors are closed.

We went out to get one pair. But the little pet store in town had 3. Couldn't leave one all alone!
Within a week, two were buddy-buddy, one was excluded. Couldn't leave him all alone!
Got one more. But kept thinking about the blue ones we didn't get...
Went out to get one blue. Came home with two.
Got a much bigger cage now that we had six. Too big! Too much extra room.
Went out to get a couple more. Came home with four. Now up to ten.
Kept thinking about three beautiful white birds in a tiny dirty cage at local pet store, year old birds, not right. Decided to rescue them. Now we had 13.
Couldn't have 13 (long bad story, not just simple superstition). Got one more. So now it was 14.
Saw one more rare-ish color. 15.
Saw a true albino for first time. 16.
Saw a grey-possible anthracite. 17.
NO MORE!!! CAGE FULL!!!! (#14 passed on after a year and a half. So sad.)

Now we look, but will not let ourselves get one. Also, we have pretty much all the different colors, some mixes we don't, but it's a pretty good spread. Entertaining. Noisy. Buy seed 50 pounds at a time. Buy cuttlebones by the pound. Need to vacuum the floor about hourly (don't, just need to. what a mess!).

Have two that are very determined pairs, getting occasional rounds of eggs, tho loose in cage so not completely sure whose they are, what with 16 birds in there. But I can't let them nest and raise young, because we really don't need or have room for MORE parakeets.

Cage now has 16 parakeets, 5 branches for perches, 5 wooden dowel perches, 2 rope perches, 2 metal bar perches (part of cage frame work), 2 plastic perches, 4 swings, two large multi-piece hanging toy/climber things, several bead & ball toys, sisal rope toys, cuttlebones, mineral blocks, 4 food bowls, 4 water troughs, stones in the bottom (they like to climb on them), bird baths, spray bottle showers, and four drawers of supplies underneath.

Love it, though.

Save yourself from this fate. Learn To Resist!

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 am

oh yeah, Love the Blue!

I have three blues, light, dark, and yellow-face dark. Two blue and white-one dominant pied, one recessive pied. And the three white birds are double-dominant pied, so each has a bright blue patch in their lower back.

So I guess that makes half my birds some sort of blue. Probably my favorite color.

Of course, I have the three white birds with a little blue, one albino, and the two pieds, so that makes 6 whites.
Two greens, one half& half green/yellow (dominant pied), one yellow with a little green (recessive pied), so that makes 4 greens.
Of course, the green/yellow and mostly yellow also count as yellows, so add the lutino and I have 3 yellows (5 if you count the greens, who do have yellow heads, 7 if you count the yellowface blue, and the recessive pied blue who also developed yellowface after a while).
And two greys, one light with cinnamon markings, and one dark who looks more like black and white in all marked areas and very dark on body.

Too many wonderful birds.

Resist! You must learn to Resist! Before it's too late!

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Nerien, I can totally seeing myself do what your story said! !! Lol, it is soo hard to resist! I love budgie! I have considered a pannel aviary for them when I do my finch aviary, lol!
Dante

skyjump100
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by skyjump100 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Nerien, that is the best story I've heard in a long time. Made me laugh!!!! Have just read it to my other half, both laughing!!!

I too can see that happening to me and definitely understand about th ebreeding thing. I've got two pairs of Goulds, 11 babies and 4 eggs at the moment. Running out of room already!!!!

Good on you tho!!!!!
Simon

3 pairs of Gouldians
4 Bengalese
Maisie & Pepper (Mini Schnauzers)
Too many goldfish :)

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

Often, a big part of coming home with more birds than planned, or "just one more", is really the fault of my kids. NEVER bring your kids with you to pick out pets. Especially if your kids are night and day, and never agree on anything, especially light blue or dark blue, yellow or green.....

(the kids are why we once had a hamster named "Mrs. Darth Fluffypants Mama Soot Plow". Can never agree on anything.)

Asym
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Asym » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Dante- I was telling my employee about the sun conure at Petco and she knew exactly which one I was talking about.. said she had taken her kids there to kill some time and it was just being so cute an playful and vocal with her little girls!
~Ali

Slave to an aviary full of birds, an aquarium full of fish, and 2 pharaoh hounds.

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:56 am

We go visit the conures at our Petco, too! Hubby bobs and talks and dances with them. Whoever there is "George", as they do seem to sell every couple of months. If it wasn't for the huge price tag, the cost of a proper cage, that we have no place for another cage of that size, and the cats and dog, He would have brought George home by now. (And at least that one wouldn't be MY fault!)

Dayna
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Dayna » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Nerien wrote: (the kids are why we once had a hamster named "Mrs. Darth Fluffypants Mama Soot Plow". Can never agree on anything.)
Ahahahahahahaha that's the funniest thing I've seen in awhile.
Owls, Goulds, European Goldfinch, Red Belly Siskins and Zebs... For now...