She is finally HERE!!! (baby Tiel Pic)

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

She is finally HERE!!! (baby Tiel Pic)

Post by MissEdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 am

Because if an emergency,I got my 8wk old baby last nite.
She is on 2 feedings a day. So she is kinda a mess. I never hand fed a baby bird before and it was an adventure. 1st it was to runny and she wore most of it, but then I thicken it and she
( I ) did better, LOL. NOW, how do I clean her crusty feathers up.
My Husband named her Miss LuLu. Last nite she would make begging noise even tho I fed her when we would walk by. The Breeder said she is eating seed too tho, so I just did what she said.
She looks lots better this morning. Cleaned up. She climbed to the top of the cage last nite to sleep. I was pleased to see that. She just took a little squirt of food, then kept moving away from it. I also put in her cage a dish of fresh, parsley, eggs and carrots, with pellets mixed in and scattered pellets/seed on the floor of the cage. So she has lots of food to pick at and check out
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
I have a Pair of Canaries.I also have an Aviary(video) with a bunch of finches in it.
Red cheek Cordon blues, Owls,Star finches, Green singers,Fire Finches, Orange cheek wax bills and a lone Orange weaver.

LuxandLolita
Brooding
Brooding

Re: She is finally HERE!!! (baby Tiel Pic)

Post by LuxandLolita » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:30 am

Oh wow a cinnamon pearl! Very very pretty! I have three tiels myself! As for the food and cleaning issue..have you given her a shower? My boys love showers and tend to get into things a lot..
Kaite
Mother to Two Zebra Finches, Lux Interior and Sheena Is. Fly Free Ivy, Lolita, and Tahny Bird. 2 Cockatiels, Ian Curtis and Singerboy("Beo"), 2 Cats, Betty and Buddy, and 5 Ferrets, Lydia Lunch, Leia("Kitten"), Coda, Tubesock and Stiv Bators
Lux Interior is six years old!

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am

LOL no showers yet. She has only been here 2 days. Getting the hand feeding down and what she is telling me. The first night I did put her in the sink with some warm water and she was like "You messed me up and now you want me to do WHAT?!" She did wear a lot of food that first night (Monday) The baths are on my list tho. All the my birds take baths.

Feeding went a lot better this morning (2nd morning). Yesterday she didn't take much food from me and I can't tell how much of the other she ate, if she ate. She did a lot of flock calling,Yesterday, (her first full day). I got calls from my husband all day. I just told him to think of her as a new puppy and that she is gotta get use to were she is. We will see how she does today.

When I put her back in her cage. I put her at the bottom, so she see her other food and water. Also that way she can learn to explore and climb. She has a palace for a cage. I found it on CL, for only $125, a yr old and it is huge. I didn't realize how big it really was till I put her in it. Or I guess I under estimated how little she was gonna be :lol: She has lots of room (tons). All to her self. I have lots of toys to put in it too.
Attachments
IMG_0038.JPG
I have a Pair of Canaries.I also have an Aviary(video) with a bunch of finches in it.
Red cheek Cordon blues, Owls,Star finches, Green singers,Fire Finches, Orange cheek wax bills and a lone Orange weaver.

wellingtoncdm

Post by wellingtoncdm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Beautiful coloring. Sometimes those "pearl hens" molt out to be boys.

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 am

wellingtoncdm wrote: Beautiful coloring. Sometimes those "pearl hens" molt out to be boys.
LOL I know, I have heard :D

Mick M.
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Mick M. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Love the tiel's , she's very pretty MissEdie :O3

She'll start to preen shortly and will enjoy a bath or a saucer of water to splash about in , this will help to clean her up , she may even enjoy a little mist spray of water to get her started at preening ( a little encouragement )

I have 2 breeding pair's and breeding lovebird's and successfully hand reared some lovebird chick's , very messy eater's to start but when they started to take seed and less eggfood they tidied up a bit , bathing helped some more and when they molted their juvenile feather's they were just fine .
Good luck with the tiel , all going well you'll have a very good friend for years to come :-BD

Regards , Mick M.

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:51 am

Third day with her. Things are going a lot better. She had been doing consent screaming. With some help from a few FB groups and FB friends (breeders and Tiel owners). We figure out she needed 3 feedings a day.
She hasn't yet touched any of the other food I put in there.
So were concentrating on keeping her fed and not lose weight.

Have to consider, she is in a new environment and and who are we (to her), a new person feeding her, her thinking (hopefully) about other food eventually, and no more clutch mates. A lot for such a young baby.

Hubby is quieter too :D

tinysparrow
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by tinysparrow » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 pm

she's very pretty!
amy :-B

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 am

1st time eating of the spoon the other nite :)

Baby 8wk old Cockatiel

The next day....
I mixed some Budgie seed and pellets into her food and put it on a lid, she ate some of that . I put it at the bottom of her cage to(still on the lid) so she can check it out. I still gave her the syringe this morning tho,just make sure she is getting enough. She was asking for it anyways

She is getting better. Starting to act like a bird. wandering around on the couch and picking at things,lol
She learned to wipe her beak off on the couch too,lol

Yesterday........
I came home to find her at the bottom eating the hand feeding formula(mixed with pellets) on her own!
Then she saw me and wanted me to feed her, LOL I did, then she went back to the lid
She usually begs me, I feed her a little , then she begs some more and I SHOW her the lid with food on it , THEN she eats her fill.
and goes back to her perch.
SHE HAD A GOOD DAY! =D>
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Congrats! Isn't it a great feeling when a hand fed baby begins to eat on it's own! You're almost there! Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix
6 adopted stray cats
2 adult, 1 young leopard gecko
4 fish tanks and 4 fish bowls
3 turtles
2 teenage kids and 1 wife

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm

She is 20 wks old now and I have her wearing a flight suit and is Harness trained :D
Still working on finding that absolute treat she will do anything for, for clicker training. Every time I offer something she offers her head for scritches . I'm like "LOOK,LOOK what I have" she just wants to be petted LOL
Attachments
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:12 am

Wow! She is so pretty!

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 am

Thank you Nerien.

Vargur
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Vargur » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

She is very pretty!!
looks like a boy to me in the last two photos,
but thats just me, I think :)
the head looks so yellow..
but I think female pearls are like this
so maybe I am wrong. :lol:

MissEdie
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by MissEdie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Here are a couple more of her (Vargur)
See what you think?
Attachments
Styling red.jpg
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG