Budgies = Impossible to Breed

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Budgies = Impossible to Breed

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Title says it all. Does anybody have helpful links? Each pair is now in a 30x18 nestbox with 3-4 perches and exterior nestboxes. The first pair won't even go on the nestbox perch. The second pair's male goes in and out.
Dante

Jon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Budgies = Impossible to Breed

Post by Jon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:31 pm

They were pretty darn easy for me; are yours in condition? Making sure they are is pretty vital if you want them to nest faster, and raise a healthy clutch. Other things you want to state are their diet, compatability, and age. It can take time for a pair to notice a nest box, in condition or not, and especially if they're new parents. If the male of the second pair is going in the nestbox, it souldn't be long. I gave away all of mine except a couple a year ago, but I picked up a few things.

javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Post by javansparrow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:55 pm

DanteD716 How old are they?

Maybe they just need more time?
I usually found strong bond pair produce their offspring like crazy. just let see my first couple. as soon as the previous hatch weaned (leave the nestbox) they laid their second clutch within only days.

PS: trying to tag you, is it working? :)
Jim.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Jon wrote: They were pretty darn easy for me; are yours in condition? Making sure they are is pretty vital if you want them to nest faster, and raise a healthy clutch. Other things you want to state are their diet, compatability, and age. It can take time for a pair to notice a nest box, in condition or not, and especially if they're new parents. If the male of the second pair is going in the nestbox, it souldn't be long. I gave away all of mine except a couple a year ago, but I picked up a few things.
Jon, the first pair both the male and female are over a year, but have been paired for maybe 3-4 months? They have been together since the beggining of fall.

The second pair hen is atleast 16 months, the male is only a year.

The hen of the first pair seems to be in condition, and has a custy brown cere, the males cere seems to pop out and is very purple.

Also, the first pair gets along well, but the second pair is much more bonded as they have been together for almost 9 months. They feed each others and alway close to each other.

The good a good seed mix, fresh fruits, veggies, and greens, and eggfood. And eggshells and cuttlebone.
Dante

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 pm

javansparrow wrote: DanteD716 How old are they?

I usually found strong bond pair produce their offspring like crazy. just let see my first couple. as soon as the previous hatch weaned (leave the nestbox) they laid their second clutch within only days.

Lol, it did work!

And the first pair is over a year, the second pair male is a year, and the hen is 16 months.

I hope they breed soon in these new cages. I had them in other cages before with no luck, and had them all together to see if the pairs would change but nothing happened.
Dante

Jon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Jon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:24 am

DanteD716 wrote:
javansparrow wrote: DanteD716 How old are they?

Lol, it did work!

And the first pair is over a year, the second pair male is a year, and the hen is 16 months.

I hope they breed soon in these new cages. I had them in other cages before with no luck, and had them all together to see if the pairs would change but nothing happened.
How long have they been in their new cages? All I can really suggest is patience. Maybe throw some pine shavings inside the nest box, they usually take them out, but this sometimes gets them in the mood. Also, don't mistake a "coming of condition" hen for one who is in condition. A dark brown, crusty cere is usually a sign of a hen nearing the end of peak condition. Usually it falls off at that point, and the cere starts off white/blueish or light brown, and progressively gets darker and crustier until the process repeats. Mine bred best when their ceres were smooth and a nice nutmeg/ milk chocolate brown color. Keep offering lots of different foods, like green seeds, fruit, (Mine LOVED apple) and if you can, pellets. Mine were easy to get converted with zupreem fruitblend pellets, and from there I switched them over to harrisons. Try increasing the amount of light, too. Though this would be their breeding period in Australia right about now, the photoperiod outside might confuse some birds. Typically, I had no problems breeding mine, so maybe I'm not the best of help. I don't think a single pair of mine waited longer than 2 months after a nestbox was added, along with an increase in food. I'm starting to miss breeding hookbills now!

javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Post by javansparrow » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 am

Jon wrote: How long have they been in their new cages? All I can really suggest is patience.
Yep. I agree with 'patience'. :)
Jim.

DanteD716
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by DanteD716 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Jon, that is an adorable picture. And thanks for the advice. I will be patient.

I will try adding pictures once I find my camera!
Dante

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Are you aware of this site?

http://www.budgieplace.com/

It has both info and forums. I find many other budgie/parakeet sites refer to this one, or borrow info from it.

Are you giving your birds long days? More than 12 hours of "sunlight"? Budgies breed during summer days, which are long. One way to keep them from going into breeding mode is to give them long nights, 12 hours of darkness. Has worked for 13 of my 15 birds.
Bluebell and Lily, however, just refuse to be discouraged.

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 am

I agree with Nerien. Since you are trying to breed your budgies in winter, they may need supplemental lighting. Full spectrum strip lights over their cages, on timers to go on at 7 a.m. and off at 9 p.m., may help.

Also, budgies are social birds that normally breed in noisy colonies. If you can get a recording of chirping budgies, playing that may help. If not, even having the radio on softly, to where is stimulates "chatter" with your budgies, may help stimulate breeding. If your budgie pairs are in separate rooms, it might help to place the cages near each other - again, to encourage more budgie chatter and make them think about breeding.

Here is a budgie recording you can buy: http://www.listeningearth.com/LE/product.php?id=23
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier