New English Budgies & Parakeets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
moonrise

New English Budgies & Parakeets

Post by moonrise » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:47 am

DH and I made a road trip yesterday and bought a pair of English Budgies from a breeder a couple of hours away. She had around 150 birds, total, including some pigeons that her husband shows. Some of her budgies are show birds, as well. They were all gorgeous! I had a hard time choosing, and she had a hard time letting any of them go to a new home! LOL! The male is a lovely aquamarine color, and the female is yellow and green. They're 2 years old (close-banded), and are about the size of a cockatiel! As an aside, I was fascinated by the sounds her husband's pigeons made! Kind of a cross between coo-ing and bubbling water. All their birds were kept in the garage, so they had plenty of room for lots of cages and a walk-in aviary for the pigeons. I don't have THAT much room in my house, but I can't help but wonder if there's such a thing as a miniature pigeon that could be kept in a regular cage! :lol:

Then we went to a local pet store and bought a pair of parakeets, which are so tiny compared to the budgies. The pet store gets them when they're about 3 months old, so they're young. The guy at the pet store was very knowledgeable, which was a huge improvement from the last time I'd bought any birds there. :wink:

I'm going to attempt to breed each pair, if they're willing. This'll be the first time I've had parakeets/budgies, so I'm still learning about them. We'll see how it goes. We did pick up two nest boxes at the pet store. :)

So far the parakeets are settling in nicely. The English Budgies are a little nervous because they can see my finches across the room, and apparently the finches' fast movements are a little scary to them. The female budgie squawks when one of the finches flies "too fast". :lol: She's settling down, though.

Pics are below. :D
Attachments
newparakeets-small.JPG
newenglishbudgies-small.JPG

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: New English Budgies & Parakeets

Post by debbie276 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:26 am

Congratulations on your new birds they are beautiful =D>
The difference in size is very obvious when you put the English budgies next to parakeets. :)
A very nice smallish pigeon like bird for you could be a diamond dove. They have the same cooing like noise and are very calm and easy to raise. Here's a link about them http://www.diamonddove.info/
good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Finnie
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Finnie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am

Hi! All four of your budgies are very pretty. I'm partial to budgies, myself, because they are my first, and main bird species. :)

I'm surprised that your English budgie breeder didn't tell you to quarantine them away from your existing flock until they settle in. Usually about a month. (It never surprises me that pet stores don't care or tell about quarantine.)

The larger your flock gets, and the more money you have invested in it, the more devastating it can be if you accidentally bring in something nasty. It also works the other way around. If your own birds have some general germs that they are used to, they can spread it to the new birds, who because of the stress of moving to a new home, can get sick from something they would normally be immune to. (Regular germs that every living organism has, even if you don't have any actual diseases present.)

Sorry for the mini sermon, lol! It's more by way of public service announcement. :P

I hope you will keep us posted on your budgie breeding endeavors. I love to see what hidden colors and mutations come out in baby budgies. :D
-Finnie

34 Budgies
13 Gouldian Finches
13 Society Finches
6 Owl Finches
4 Yellow Face Star finches
16 Bourke's Parakeets
4 Cockatiels

5 chickens!

OMG this signature is so outdated! Make that 50 chickens!

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Debbie - Thank you.

Finnie - My "existing flock" consists of a few society finches all the way on the other side of the room from the budgies (as I mentioned). And the parakeets are in a far corner with as much distance between them as physically possible. For reasons I don't care to elaborate, I no longer have the luxury of a dedicated bird room or multiple rooms I can use for quarantining. I am happy for those who have unlimited space.

I wish you all well with your birds.

Vargur
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Vargur » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:30 pm

oh, the english are gorgeus!
Gongrats on your new birds :)
All beautiful colors!

bugaboo5
Weaning
Weaning

Post by bugaboo5 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Wow, those English Budgies are gorgeous. I'm especially enchanted by the blue! How gorgeous! :)
God is my redeemer and it is through Him I have found eternal happiness. I am grateful, I am blessed, and I am truly loved. I wish all this and more for all members of our finch forum family. May you all be blessed and highly favored. <3

~*Friend, companion, and caretaker for too many birds to count.*~

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Lisa » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 pm

How very beautiful... is this your first set of each? Please keep us posted on how it goes. I'm curious about the level of attention they require, noise level, what you find enjoyable about them. (Have been tossing around the idea of maybe acquiring some myself at some point in the future but don't know very much about them).

30 Seconds to Bob
Weaning
Weaning

Post by 30 Seconds to Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:57 am

Very nice - especially love the English Budgies. Good luck with them! Bob
3 canaries
2 orange cheeked waxbill finches
2 java finches, 1 split to normal, 1 white
2 bourke parakeets
1 american staffordshire/american pit bull terrier
1 boston/jack russel terrier mix