My New Parrotlets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Nerien

My New Parrotlets

Post by Nerien » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Here they are!!!
Cricket is the green one, female. Jack is the blue male, Jill and Jinx are the blue females. The names of the blue ones may be changing, depending on what my daughter comes up with. The blues are maybe about a year old, the green one 9-10 months old.

They haven't been hand trained at all yet, so we have our work cut out for us. My daughter has already written a list of the words/phrases we are supposed to teach them, because while we were driving them home we were coming up with all kinds of funny things to make them say, and I pointed out they might only learn a few, so we didn't want to waste our choices on things like "here, kitty kitty".

Lisa
Weaning
Weaning

Re: My New Parrotlets

Post by Lisa » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:46 am

Very pretty! Are you concerned at all that changing their names may confuse them since they are able to learn and talk?

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:06 am

She said that they really don't seem to know their names except for Cricket, and in fact, she told us that pretty much they all respond to "Cricket" when she calls her. Cricket will remain Cricket, it seems to fit. So I think we're safe with the name changing, they either don't know them, or don't like them and refuse to answer to them. :lol: Cricket will remain Cricket, it seems to fit. We haven't come up with any other choices for the blues, but then, by the time we got them home, got them settled, let them stay quiet a while until they were comfortable enough to eat and preen, there wasn't much time to watch for personalities yet.

But, OMG they are so CUTE!!!!!! This is going to be so much fun.

Vargur
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Vargur » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:03 am

very nice birds, congrats!

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:35 am

Very pretty, congratulations =D>
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Nanajennie
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Nanajennie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:28 am

How adorable! Beautiful 'lil birds :)
Jennie

Coconut: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure LOVE OF MY LIFE

Creamsicle: Pied Sea Green Red Throated Parrot female
Rocket Pop: Red Throated Parrot male

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Here they are!!!
Oh My...I have to admit...I am so jealous :mrgreen: . They are beautiful!!! You are one lucky girl!!! Oh Lord....I hope I haven't been bitten by the parolette bug now #-o ...

Nerien

Post by Nerien » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:16 am

We are having trouble with naming them. Cricket, the green female, does know her name, we were told, the others don't. Nor are they hand-tamed, so it seems fine to change their names and work with them under the new names, except for Cricket, who will remain so.

So we have three soft blue birds, and we can't come up with three appropriate names. Two females, one male. Cricket and the male are best buddies, the two blue girls are also best buddies.

So, Cricket and ??? What is the name of a blue bug that goes with Cricket? Or a blue-name that also starts with Cr or K sound or something sounding like or rhyming with Cricket? No one likes "Beetle".

Or, some blue names that all go together?
Bluebell is out, we have a budgie by that name, and she (daughter, 11) wouldn't consider BlueBelle as different.

Blueberry and what?
Blueberry, Rasberry (blue raspberry, she says. Never mind that's just a concoction of the food industry), Blackberry....but the colors of the berries are wrong.
Not too many blues in nature, are there?

What to name pretty little soft blue birds?

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:45 pm

We named our male RCCB Blueberry and our new female RCCB Sky. My very first bird (a blue budgie when I was 7) was bluebell. My second blue budgie was blue-boy. Google names for blue birds...you will get lots of results. Blue and Jewel are the male and female blue Mcaws from Rio...