Pixie, our little Yellow-sider Green Cheek Conure

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Pixie, our little Yellow-sider Green Cheek Conure

Post by cindy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:44 pm

He is over a friend's house having little ones right now... he makes really pretty babies!!!!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

tam
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by tam » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Beautiful green cheek, That might be my next conure. - tam

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 pm

She is so much fun and very smart, entertaining too

~ My Facebook groups ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 pm

cindy

Hi Cindy,

I was oh so tempted by a gorgeous little Sun Conure in a Pet Land Store a week or so ago.

This little beauty, was just so sweet, I was tempted to stuff her into my jacket and run out of the store. She sat on my shoulder, and preened my face, my eye brows and eye lashes, then burrowed into my hair, making these adorable little murmuring sounds.

It was actually difficult to walk out of that store without her, although the $1,300.00 dollar price tag did serve as a good incentive.

Sigh......

I did do some reading about the Conures afterwards, and did learn that they can be incredibly loud.

After reading some more about different species, I am considering a baby Linnie (maybe) sometime later on this year. Have you ever hand raised one? What are they like?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 am

Suns can be incredibly loud...beautiful birds but their scream/noise is too much for us. We had a Blue crown at one time when the girls were small and that bird sounded like a Macaw. We also had a few Maroon Bellied, smaller than GCC and shy, quieter also barely... knew they were around.

GCC's are fairly quiet, her calls are not too loud. When she wants attention or wants to play a whistling game she is easily distracted.... we tell her to "stop, whistle" then we whistle and she whistles back . As I go to and from watering/feeding my birds we play the whistling game, if she is calling to me she can be heard saying ""stop, whistle" in anticipation of what we will say and the game played ... she just wanted a bit of attention and it does not have to be out of the cage time.

I do not allow her in either of my two bird rooms with me, if I go past a certain point down the hall with her on my shoulder she does fly back to her cage on her own. I make sure she had out time everyday and by herself cage time as well.... she seems pretty content. Our avian vet stressed with any tame parrot it is best to teach them early on to have alone time in the cage. Pixie knows the routine...very smart.

~ My Facebook groups ~