OPIE, FINDS A FOREVER HOME.

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: OPIE, FINDS A FOREVER HOME.

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:46 am

MiaCarter
Not at all sure if I want to breed budgies, Mia.
So far there is no love lost between them. He bullies her and tries to nibble in her feet (perve), and she screams at him (shrew).

Not sure what to make of relations between these two.

But then Freebee, has taken to screaming at me too lately. I guess I just haven't had as much time to spend with her lately as I would like. With all these babies, and eggs, and handfeedibg, and infants dying, and more eggs.... Poor Freebles hasn't gotten much attention. Poor baby.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:24 pm

Aw well. Hopefully they'll get along eventually!

That's the thing about budgies. They're not keen on avoidance like finches and more passive birds. They always seem to confront each other!

But as long as they're not hurting each other, I wouldn't worry. It's just a matter of learning to live with each other. This could be more challenging if neither has lived with another 'keet before.

Yeah, breeding budgies is tough. I've done it before and it's SUPER time consuming as you need to handle them a LOT to ensure they're human-friendly.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:34 pm

MiaCarter
That's what I thought too, Mia.
I just like them, not interested in breeding them.
There are so many budgies around and lot's of people are trying to get rid of them. Our Humane Society, currently has around a dozen up for adoption . No one wants them.

They tend to be fairly inexpensive around here, so people buy them on a whim for their children, and then the children lose interest, and the parents don't want to care for them. So they end up being sold, dumped at the SPCA, or just tossed outside.

Just last month, I saw a doting father purchasing a budgie at the Pet Shop 'for' his 5 or 6 year old daughter. I found myself wondering how long it would be before another unwanted bird would end up on kijiji or craigslist, or worse.

Sigh....

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~