Classroom pet

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Classroom pet

Post by Harley2013 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 am

I am a preschool teacher. Ages 3-5. I have had hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, even hatched chicken eggs in the classroom for my kids. I was thinking about getting a parakeet for them this time. Any input on this for this age? I am wanting to find one that is fairly young that can be held, and touched. I have read something's on Austrailian vs. English budgies. Any input on this? I read that English are significant larger and more laid back, calmer, quieter and possibly better for smaller children? Any info from experienced would be appreciated. Thank you
Tammie (ME!);D

Harley (Red-factor canary)~ RIP my songbird ~5/4/14
Franklin & Olive ( budgie)
Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Classroom pet

Post by lovezebs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:50 am

Harley2013
My concern would be, that these children are awfully young to be actually handling a fragile little bird. Also, budgies, even young ones, can give a really good bite if they feel threatened.

I guess my main worry would be for the bird, being dropped, crushed, stepped on, sat on etc.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:29 pm

The children definelty would be supervised, of course, and never allowed to touch it alone. As with any animal in a classroom, it could give a bite. We had a nasty hamster at one point that turned into " eyes only" class pet. But it's important for the children to learn responsibility, turn taking, care, and such. Half of our preschool is disabled as well, and many times a classroom pet is used as an incentive for ones that listen, do their jobs, make good choices etc, or for sensory therapy as well.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I personally would not recommend a budgie for a classroom full of children that young. On a one-on-one basis, maybe, but birds do bite, and then you'll have parents all freaked out. Maybe get a mammal of some type.
KarenB

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 pm

You could look into English budgies , they really are much more laid back and calm . Males are less hormonal than females. Females might nip occasionally but you always have exceptions.
Have you thought about other species ?
A female cockatiel or a lineolated parakeet could fit very nicely around small children . Both have very calm personalities and hardly ever bite . Though budgies do step , most of them are hands off preferring not to be petted . They'd rather hang out on your shoulder. Female tiels in particular are extremely cuddly and quiet. Males are more active but could lightly nip .

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Linnies might be a good option, but they don't care to be held
KarenB

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:54 pm

I do not want to spend a fortune on a bird. This is preschool after all. I also would rather not have something kinda quite at times. Because we do have quiet times in the classroom and the children need to be focused in those times.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:09 pm

You might try a handfed Rosey Bourkes Parakeet. All the handfeds we had at the store were absolute dolls. They'd step up easily and are eerily quite. They aren't extremely active and wouldn't distract the children while they are supposed to be working. They are quite content to sit on a finger and are about the size of an English budgie. Perhaps a bit longer. I've also never been bitten by a Bourke. Ever. And even though they don't super love being petted and getting little scritches they will tolerate it without screaming, flying away, or biting IMO.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Budgies are very noisy, although not loud they constantly chatter. A nice, quiet, and inexpensive bird that does not bite is a dove. The males might coo, so a female is quieter, but they are calm, soft and I think an often overlooked bird. I just bought a pair of aviary raised diamond doves, and while not tame, they are very calm and most of the time I could get close to them...and they are considered very flighty for doves.
Image Storm & Sky

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Rosey Burke may be a match. Touching is a must for kids. That's the whole point in having one. Disabled children learn by way of hands on and sensory therapy as well. Thank you. Any more input or suggestions is welcome. :)
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:31 pm

Well, meet " no name" he is the newest member of our preschool class. He is 2 months old, he is parent raised. now I need to brush up on parakeets again. It has been years since I've owned one. So any help as to finger taming him would be REALLY appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpg
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:10 am

I think a budgie is a really poor choice for preschoolers. They bite, they're very noisy, they could be killed with a single squeeze or toss, and unless you have him out with you for many hours each day, it is in my opinion quite cruel to house him by himself.
~Dylan

~~~

steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by steve » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:57 am

Hi

I would have gone for Cockatiels that have been hand raised, they seem so docile. I went to a Bird Park last week and there were about 20 or so on a stand out in the open, they just wanted to climb all over me it was great. Then again they can bite quite sore when handled wrongly as with any animal.

Regards
Steve

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:05 am

Aw, he's lovely!
Personally, I would have gone with a larger bird, like a cockatiel. They're less fragile and they *love* getting pets and rubs. Petting isn't always as accepted by 'keets.

Well, you'll want to start by offering him treats (millet works nicely), first through the bars and then with your hand inside the cage.

Once he becomes comfortable with your hand, you can use a finger to stroke him as he eats. This can gradually turn into actual petting.

Also, you can take millet and put it in the center of the palm of your hand so that he must step onto your fingers/hand in order to get the treat. It takes a lot of trust to stand on you, so they need a motivator. The treat is a good motivator.

Once he's comfortable with this, you can start teaching him to "step up". You place your finger right up against where his legs meet his body and apply a tiny bit of pressure while saying "step up".

I would be a slight bit worried about his mental health. He'll need a *lot* of interaction in order to be happy. Parakeets are flock animals and they really need someone with whom they can bond --- that "someone" can be human or bird. You might consider getting a friend for him.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am

Thank you for your opinions. The thing with " any" bird is they can bite at any time hand raised or not if they feel threatened. In this case, the children being preschoolers cannot hole or even touch him without supervision. There are rules. We just don't let the children run wild. We have had, hamsters, guinea pigs, and even baby chickens in the past and all have done fine. Many of these children are special education children with developmental disabilities and a larger bird would intimidate them. It is amazing therapy for a disabled child just to sit and watch the bird in the cage. It's a great incentive for them as well with help of course to learn how to care for and have respect living things, that they may not have at home. We forget and think that " most" people with children tend to have a pet of some kind at home. This isn't true, and some parents of children don't even own a computer. Can you imagine!? This day and age, and no computer? This little bird will be well taken care of I assure you, and if there EVER is a double to his mental well being or his safety, it will also be corrected.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.