New Budgies

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

New Budgies

Post by steve » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi All

Yesterday I got my new suspended Aviaries (3 of them), spent the morning installing perches, breeding boxes and feeding dishes. I put my 4 new Show Budgies in the cage but I notice they spend a lot of time on the cage bottom which is wire. I know that they came from small breeding cages but does this mean they need time to adjust to their bigger surroundings? I housed my Indian Ringnecks in one of the other cages and they are very happy. I am still deciding on what to put in the empty cage, toss up between Cockatiels or Boukes.

Steve

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Budgies

Post by finchmix22 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:12 pm

steve
I would make sure the budgies have lots of climbing and perching space off the wire. If anything is on the bottom to draw them, they may be more comfortable there. I put ladders and the long twisted perches (made out of the striped cloth) and of course lots of toys etc.
DEBORAH

steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by steve » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:59 am

Deborah, I am going to get toys and ladders on Saturday, the floor is wire so there is nothing really there to attract their attention. I will see what happens after I introduce the toys.

Regards
Steve

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:40 am

Steve, if they came from small cages, they might not have the wing strength to fly around yet. Give them time and they should get stronger with their flight.

Adding toys and lots of perches will help them move around in the meantime and keep them active. My budgies went crazy over their toys :D
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm

That's quite curious.

My guys don't spend a whole lot of time on the floor, except when eating. But perhaps your guys feel more comfortable there; maybe less vulnerable? They can be uncomfortable in a new location.

I'd definitely offer lots of toys. My guys go crazy over their toys. (And it's funny, as they use them exactly as they're intended to be used. The spin the little spinney elements, ring the bells, they move the beads back and forth, they climb the ladders, pull individual keys from the birdie keyring, etc. )
If they're not playing, they're singing and skatting.
Happy little creatures.

Tough call on the occupants of the last cage. Cockatiels and rosy bourkes are both very lovely.
I vote for a cockatiel over the rosy bourkes if you have the time to engage and socialize.
If you don't have a ton of time to socialize and engage, then I'd go with the rosy bourkes (pair.)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:07 am

A few of my exhibition types also preferred hanging out at the bottom of their cages. My guess is because of their huge size coupled with weak wing strength due to the lack of exercise. They were also quite lazy and non responsive compared to the normal pet types.

They should start climbing and perching higher once they've settled in and become healthier. Would love to see some pics of your birds.

Vinay