Budgie toys

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Budgie toys

Post by steve » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:38 am

Hi all

I spent yesterday getting toys for my Budgies in order to get them off the Aviary floor. It worked almost immediately, they are such playful birds it's amazing.
IMG_2018.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
Steve

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Budgie toys

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:43 am

steve
Great job! they look very happy and much better off the floor. My budgies love the ladder and swing, as well as mirrors.
DEBORAH

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:18 pm

steve
Cute toys and cutie birds.
Can't tell from the pictures, but are their wings clipped? If they are clipped, then no wonder they were sitting on the floor. They couldn't really get anywhere.

My two budgie babes love toys. They don't really love each other very much, so they each have their own apartment. What I do, is switch the toys around every week or so. It keeps them more engaged and busy.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Perfect topic I was looking for. As some of you know, I have had Franklin now for about a week and 2 days. We are still working on training of course. He will step up on my finger in the cage, but when I try to pull him out of cage even at the slowest speed, he hops off on the perch. BRAT! But, he will come out on his own good time if I leave the door open. Once out, I am able to handle him, and I was thinking of a bird gym. There are many out there. What is n
Best for budgies? Acrylic, wood, plastic, natrual wood, colored wood? And, will they actually stay on and play or is a gym just a hype? He is an only budgie with a weekend guest ( Olaf) from school, but they haven't offically met yet. Olaf is not able to be handled, he screams! Lol! What what is the best and most advised play gym for a budgie?
Tammie (ME!);D

Harley (Red-factor canary)~ RIP my songbird ~5/4/14
Franklin & Olive ( budgie)
Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 am

My budgies are the most playful creatures ever!

They are constantly on the go. If they're not singing (I mean *singing* --- eyes closed, foot in a fist, rocking back and forth totally-in-the-groove singing!) then they're playing!

We have tons of toys.
They love nearly all of them!
We have one of everything. Swings (they sleep on their swings), mirrors, anything with bells (Louise is OBSESSED with getting the ringie thing inside the bell!), small wood chewies, and all those toys with spinners and beads that go back and forth. They use all of them and what's funny is that they use them just as they were intended to be used -- which is quite rare!

Their favorite is their birdie keychain. They're always messing with the keys! I took it away when I was rotating the toys and they pulled it out of the toy basket and were dragging it back to their spot.(It was cute watching them trying to figure it out, as it was too big to carry while flying! So they pulled it out of the basket, somehow got it on top of the bird cages (perhaps climbed while holding it somehow?) and then started dragging it along the tops of the cages toward their spot. So that taught me! Never take the keys away!

We have ladders, but they don't really play on them. They use them as actual functional ladders. (though they do play with the mirror and little slider beads attached at the top of the ladder.)

I don't have an actual play center yet. I haven't found a good one that was size-appropriate. (And I tend to prefer the individual toys, so I can rotate them.)

The only toy they don't love is the big hemp rope toy with colored bits of chewey wood. They haven't used it. I'd actually bought it for Hunter the cockatiel, but he was too scared of it. So maybe it's just too big for them. They use the smaller 'keet-sized one.

My guys aren't big chewers. I have a string of wooden beads, with a bell at the bottom. They just mess with the bell; they don't eat the beads.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:54 am

Enjoy watching them play, it can get hilarious!
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:02 am

Harley2013
I have a play gym that I put together from other sets. It has manzanita branches and a curved hook to hold a toy, plus a small swing and a ladder, which leads to another play area. So, I put two of the playlets together and added some of their favorites. They really love to use the swing and climb around on the ladders and hang from toys off the perches and hook. It is hilarious! I get the bird safe toys, that don't use dyes, but are colored naturally. One of mine loves the wood toys and the other loves anything he can shred. He shreds everyday until all that's left is the center piece. I also rotate toys and keep a dish of some balls and strands of untreated leather that is tied in knots, with some other unique toys, such as; a small plastic measuring spoon with a hole at the handle end, a plastic medicine cup, etc. They love to toss the cup and drag the spoon around the cage. Go figure!
DEBORAH

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:04 am

I was thinking of this as well, does anyone have this? I was wondering the dimensions of the platform in open position. I Think it's kinda cute. It can fold up and be decorative when not in use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K5 ... QASMPGHAIE
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by steve » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:40 am

lovezebs, their wings are not trimmed, I have noticed that since I put the toys in the cage is a hive of activity, they are all over the place, they even chirp at me as if to thank me. I never thought I would bond so quickly with these guys, I love it. I spent most of the weekend researching budgies.

Steve

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:25 pm

Nice pictures. They are enjoying their new toys. Good job! :mrgreen:
I love Gouldian Finches.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:09 pm

Harley2013 - I've been eyeing that play center for a while! I'm going to get it for my new and improved bird room.
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:56 pm

What a great hide away right!!?? Lol! Do you have any idea of the dimensions of it opened?
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:57 am

Harley2013 - Ha, I just bought it! $20 with shipping.

Says it's 20-inches wide and when all folded up, it sticks out 3.5 inches off the wall.

There's even spots for photos of your bird on the windows, so when closed, it's like a picture frame! Totally going to be my xmas gift for Hunter, my 'tiel, and the budgies, Lousie and Chet!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 am

Awesome!! Let me know how it is in person. :)
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:49 am

Harley2013 - My bird cabinet arrived!

It's lovely!

You asked about the dimensions of the tray on the bottom. It's just a tad bit smaller than the cabinet, which is 12x20, so it fits inside perfectly when the doors are closed.

I didn't have any photos big enough for the doors, so I got some of my scrapbooking papers and covered both sides of the panel that would sit behind the photo so it looks pretty when it's open and closed.

It's also designed nicely with the perches positioned in a way so that a smaller bird can't easily access the cabinet frame when sitting on the perches, making it more difficult to chew the wood (my guys aren't big chewers, so I'm not concerned.)

I was shocked at the quality. It's really good quality. All solid wood, not particle board as I was expecting, so I think it will hold up nicely. It would actually be worth the $80-something list price.

I did a little mini review here:
http://wp.me/p4JWrl-kP

It's going to be awesome for the budgies! I can't wait to put it up!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com