Advise from Lovebird and Budgie Breeders

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Advise from Lovebird and Budgie Breeders

Post by finchmix22 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:48 am

Well, for an unknown reason, my female parakeet/budgie died. I can only guess she had a neck injury as she looked as if she fell, face first onto the floor of the cage. She was very flighty and I'm not surprised that she may have panicked and broke her neck. However, now her mate is very lonely and looks bored/sad. I have a male lovebird who is alone, but I wasn't sure if I could put the two boys together or if they would fight, even without a hen around.

Any suggestions! Thanks.
DEBORAH

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Advise from Lovebird and Budgie Breeders

Post by vinay » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:26 am

No matter what the situation , never put in lovebirds with any other species . Peachfaced lovebirds are exceptionally notorious . In general all lovebird species are highly aggressive and will maime/mutilate/kill other birds .

Try introducing them to each other during free flight in a neutral area under supervision. They might get along eventually , but housing them together is a bad

There are always individual exceptions . I have a male peachfaced who used to be bonded to male tiel . They still had their own cages but spent all their time together .

I don't think you should risk it .

Sam007
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Sam007 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:45 pm

I would suggest you to avoid putting the two together as lovebirds are very aggressive birds.
I love Gouldian Finches.

finchmix22
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by finchmix22 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks Sam007 and vinay!

I may just put their cages next to each other so they have someone to talk to. I don't really want to get mates for them, so I can focus on my finches.
DEBORAH

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:53 pm

finchmix22
Hi Deborah.
First of all, so sorry about your budgie girl. I've heared from other people about budgies going into a panic and slamming into a wall or a window and breaking their necks. They must have weak necks for some reason.
Regarding Lovebirds:
I had Lovebirds for twenty years or more... Honestly I don't know how the 'love' part got into their name. They are aggressive to each other, to their mates, to their chicks, to their siblings, to their parents later in life.... I WOULD NOT place a Lovebird with any other species.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:12 pm

I'd keep them in separate cages so they can see and talk to eachother. All parrots can nip and bite quite well. Best not to risk it. Maybe let them out together when supervised.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 am

I agree, keep the two species apart, keep their cages a bit of a space apart from each other. Provide each with toys, foraging toys/games to keep them busy.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:02 am

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your 'keet.

Lovebirds can be very difficult. But there are exceptions to the rule. I've had a lovebird and a cockatiel who were wonderful companions. It was a gradual friendship. They had cages alongside each other and then started socializing outside of the cage. Only once they were doing well in free fly did I let them start caging up together.
Both were lonely, I think. And both had very calm temperaments, so it worked nicely.

I've also had other lovebirds who were the sweetest birds ever with humans, but downright nasty with other birds.

So if both are hand tame, you could place the cages alongside each other. Then introduce them outside the cage. Always introduce them outside of the cage in a neutral territory. (Neutral is key) And hand tame recommended because it's easier to avoid and break up a squabble if you can control both of them.

If they don't have any real interest in each other, as sometimes occurs, I might reconsider getting a friend for the budgie. A lone budgie can be a very sad budgie. But some do well alone, so it all depends.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:05 am

I would be more concerned with parakeets trying to bite than lovebirds...had colonies of both and budgies tend to argue and can turn on a dime and attack...I did not see that with my lovebird flock.

~ My Facebook groups ~

steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by steve » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:14 am

I've also had other lovebirds who were the sweetest birds ever with humans, but downright nasty with other birds.
Mia, I started off with 2 pairs of Lovebirds, on day the one hen was a bit under the weather and the males noticed this and killed her, they actually bit holes in her head. Then the males started fighting over the remaining hen and I had to sepperate them.

Steve

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:23 am

it can happen even in the sweetest birds...breeding mode/hormones can do odd things to even the gentlest of birds... budgies though can be brutal and can bloody a bird to the point you may not recognize it. Hen typically can be very moody and even go after you in the cage if nesting or they feel you are invading their space. They also can target a weaker bird.

~ My Facebook groups ~