Quarenteen over

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Quarenteen over

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 am

steve - I think you touch upon some great points -- a couple that I almost mentioned.
You're absolutely right on the cultural component. The treatment of animals and view of animals varies dramatically from culture to culture. In the US, dogs are pets. In some parts of of the world, dogs are lunch. In some areas, rats are worshipped. In others, rats are vermin.

And while most birds are social by nature, that's not always the case.

Male canaries are one example. In nature, I believe that they spend some portions of the year alone and therefore, aren't as hardwired to require socialization.
Many other species of birds are the same way; they live a fairly solitary life for a good portion of the year.

But birds who live in a flock year-round are hard wired to NEED socialization from their peers.

African Greys and super intelligent birds can be an exception to the rule. A super intelligent parrot can have some of its social needs met by a human. Enough so to make the presence of another bird not-so-essential in some cases. But this isn't the natural order of things; it's the result of human intervention via hand raising and depriving the bird of socialization opportunities with its own species.

But humans are virtually never a suitable replacement for another bird. This is evidenced by the fact that most parrots and highly intelligent birds will readily choose another individual of its species over a human.

The exceptions to this rule: the parrots who have been hand-raised by humans and were never provided an opportunity for socialization with other birds. These birds never learn how to socialize properly with their species; they are socially inept and therefore tend to prefer humans for their social needs. This is true of many other animals who've been raised by humans and deprived of same-species socialization.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:18 am

Thank you Mia and Steve-

I will try to put it in human terms to my husband. " IF" and that is a big if! Lol! I can convienence him to allow a permanent friend for Franklin, will the time Franklin spends over the Holiday vacation with Olaf be okay as long as he gets his own permanent friend at the end? Or will that confuse him even more? I have Olaf until Jan 5 or so, then he goes back to school. By that time, I hope to have convinced my hubby to a frind for Franklin.
Tammie (ME!);D

Harley (Red-factor canary)~ RIP my songbird ~5/4/14
Franklin & Olive ( budgie)
Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

steve
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by steve » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:53 am

By that time, I hope to have convinced my hubby to a frind for Franklin
If he is ok with the visitor he will be ok with the new bird. Good Luck.

Regards
Steve

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm

I think the time over the holiday will be a nice opportunity for both Olaf and Franklin to get some nice socialization.

It's less-than-ideal that they're both alone most of the time, but I'm a believer that some social time with another bird is better than none.

The routine may be stressful at first (having one bird come home for weekends and vacations), but they will get accustomed to it.
As a teen, my parents were divorced and I'd bring my birds with me when I switched houses (3 days with one, 4 days with the other) My mum had birds so they had more company at her house.
It was stressful at first, but I was careful to use the same routine when switching houses and so forth. They stopped showing any signs of stress after about a month. I think using the same routine was key. So it's not ideal, but it can be done (and it was better than leaving them behind at the other parent's house. They were super bonded with me and got VERY upset. The conure even plucking and screeching, so leaving them wasn't a choice.)

This school vacation is also a great opportunity to prove your point with your husband! You can show him how much happier they are (I'd point to lots of the happy "skatting" sounds, how they play together, preen each other, etc.)
And you can point out how there's little difference between 2 birds and 1 bird.

I'm a firm believer that some time together is better than none.
Again, put it in human terms. If you were a pet living in a cage, it may be awkward when another human starts showing up for a couple days a week. But eventually, you'll get used to the routine and you'll get to know the other person and you'll really come to enjoy that time together.

My concern would be the summertime and separating them after a few months together, as you'll be forced to break the routine of weekend visits. And a break in routine can be stressful. But no sense worrying about it right now.

I think the time over the vacation will help them bond. And they'll spend less and less time getting re-acquainted when Olaf comes home every Friday.

I wish you luck convincing your husband! I'm sure everything will work out in time. :-)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:10 pm

My hubby is softening to the idea of a friend for Franklin. He says though that because I started already with the friendship of Olaf, that it should be her. They are definetly falling for one another. It's so cute to watch. They preen one another, chat with one another, and snuggle. The problem I NOW face, is what to tell the children at school. They are preschool, so they won't understand where Olaf went and I don't want BOTH of them at school. The kids really do enjoy saying hello to her when they get to school. They were even concerned as to where she was the past two days, as only a two day week was silly to take her in, so she stayed home.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:07 pm

I think a canary would be a *much* better school pet than a budgie, for they do not pine for friendship so severely and will not grow lonely.
~Dylan

~~~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:36 am

Maybe..... But we were approved for a parakeet by building supervisor, and the children already have see a parakeet, named her and parents have been told. The kids wouldn't understand why it has changed to another bird, and where did the first one go. 3 -5 years old. Canaries can also be costly. There is a budget set for class pets and their care each year. The cost of a canary would utilize that easily, not including food and any extras throughout the school year. There are teachers that go into their own pockets for pet necessities at times, but if there is a school budget for these things, they try to stay within the means of that.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 am

Then a pair of small finches.

I believe animal welfare if more important than the brief confusion you'd get from young children about changing a bird.
~Dylan

~~~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 pm

I guess you've never dealt with 3,4 and 5 year olds! Lol! They wouldn't understand the " animal welfare" standpoint. This is an educational opportunity for the children to see, learn about, care for and one day possibly touch or hold on their finger the budgie they have come to know and love. This is a learning experience for them to learn about living things and their care such as fresh water, food, clean habitat, socialization. Having a single budgie in the classroom isn't like having one and keeping it in a bedroom behind closed door, with no exposure to others in the household or only looked at once in awhile. Although the budgie was solo, he still got attention and spoken to. Same would go as a budgie owned by one who would want the budgie to be bonded only to them I have read.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.