Meet Abby

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Meet Abby

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:29 pm

lovezebs -- Not much to report at the moment with the fincheys.

My gouldians are just starting to color up. Can you believe that? There's one girl, Pickle, who's getting belly and chest color. She just sprouted a red feather on her head today, so a second confirmed red head!

Other than Pickle, the others are basically the same as when they fledged.
The male Finley has 3 red feathers on his head and that's the extent of it.
They're taking their dear sweet time for sure!

Zebra finches Molly Sue and Elvis -- Ivy's plucking victims -- have already gotten loads of pinfeathers so they're recovering very nicely from Ivy's plucking assault.
I'm still not sure what to do with Ivy.
She's just fine in her new cage with her son, daughter and another hen, Juliette. No plucking, so I guess we're keeping her in there until further notice.
It's a bit of a bummer as Ivy is Molly Sue's mate and I was hoping to breed him one last time, but seems like that's probably not going to happen. :-(
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 am

Sheather lovezebs KarenB

Oh my goodness, Hunter and Abby are the cutest couple EVER.

Hunter just introduced Abby to his favorite activities: chewing the fake vines and cat watching. (And it took her all of a minute to figure out that the cats can't get to her through the window. Smart girl!)
And now, they're napping together amidst the fake vines -- Hunter's favorite spot. It couldn't get any cuter than that!

http://youtu.be/hLTC2NWiT5Y

And here's another one with Abby's total cuteness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn3QDXF34Ao
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 am

MiaCarter Your videos are so cute. Love the one of Abby "singing"... precious!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 pm

MiaCarter so cute!

I took a video of Gracie. The quality is awful though. :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VGPwjT ... e=youtu.be
~Dylan

~~~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Sheather -- So cute!

Is that a phone ringing in the beginning? Or Gracey's imitation of a phone?

Hunter and Abby love Gracey's singing!
I was watching the video and they started going nuts, singing in reply!

Love the point around 2 min when he landed on your hand! He's such a cutie pie!
His little waddle on the bed is so precious! I call Hunter Mr. Penguin Waddles. LOL

Your bird room is such a happy place with little birdies hopping around everywhere, busy doing birdie things. Love it! I bet you spend all your time in there.
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:43 pm

MiaCarter that was Gracie, haha, that is his "okay, it's morning, let me out!" alarm.

I do love my birdie room. : 3
~Dylan

~~~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Sheather -- That's hilarious that that was Gracey! It was spot on for a phone ringer, right down to the spacing between each "ring". (And a smart tactic, if you ask me, as a ringing phone demands attention! So if Gracey rings like a phone, then he'll get your attention! Smart boy!)

I used to put Hunter to bed at night in his cage, but I stopped a couple weeks ago. I felt bad wrangling him into the cage every night and I realized "why not let him stay out? He stays out all day. If he's more comfortable sleeping outside, then why not, right?"
Good decision as he's much happier!

So I no longer get the "let me out, human!!!" whistles, but he does have a not-so-subtle manner of telling me to turn the lights on! It's quite funny. He'll start sounding off with every vocalization he knows, one after another! LOL
Of course, this wakes up the entire room, so everyone will be in there chattering away in the dark.

But letting him stay out at night has been nice, because he sleeps later. Rather than 4:30 or 5:00 am, it's more like 5:30 or 6:00 a.m.

I can't wait until Abby can stay out at night too, as I don't love wrangling her into her cage, especially when Hunter gets to stay free!
She does great outside of her cage, but sometimes, she gets spooked and when she gets spooked, she gets stupid. e.g. she knocked something off the cage, and it startled her so she took flight in a panic. Then she landed awkwardly and fell between the back of a cage and the wall. I'd left the space large enough so anyone who ended up back there could get out easily. But she panicked and forgot how to climb and decided to try to fly out of there, which didn't work. So it necessitated a mommy rescue. (I've since rearranged the cage perches so the cage can sit flush against the wall.)
So we just need to get through the spookey phase!
She's got a ways to go, as she can't handle free fly yet. She just freaks with all the small birds zipping around. And the littles get freaked out when she starts fluttering about in a panic. So it becomes a circular problem. So we put her in her cage during free fly and she's getting more comfortable, as she feels safe in there and can watch everyone, getting used to their movements.
She also spooks if a bird moves suddenly inside a nearby cage. But she's getting more comfortable and we haven't had any spooks today! It just takes time to become familiar with the room's dynamics, I think.
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:35 pm

In the months that Hunter has had free reign of the bird room, he's never really explored. He has his favorite spots and that's it.

But Abby is all about exploration!
So he's joined her on her adventures and it's so fun to watch! It's like he's coming to life!

I just saw them getting into mischief together, opening an unused bird bath and climbing inside.

Then, Abby started exploring the yellow travel cage and the smart little girl climbed inside by opening the sliding door.
Clever girl! I wish I'd gotten a photo. I ran to get the camera and by the time I did, she'd climbed out.

I'm so happy Hunter finally has a friend.
This is a bird who would watch TV and sleep most of the day. He doesn't play with toys either (though he's found his own "toys" like the fake vines). But Abby manages to keep him engaged, exploring and singing and playing together all day long. Love it!
He seems so much happier and he's more eager to interact with me too. (It's actually a tad bit of jealousy, but that's okay. We're dealing with it. I'll take jealousy over indifference any day!)
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com