Will it make a difference?

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Will it make a difference?

Post by Harley2013 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Franklin and Olive, have been residing together now since December, ( winter break) from school. However, I am disappointed, I knew that the two of them would bond, if I allowed this. My origanl intention was just to have Franklin at home and Olive at school. But some say that was not normal and cruel and they should be together to be healthy and live as a parakeet should because they are social. I wanted Franklin to bond solely with me, and this hasn't happened while living with Olive. Would it have made any difference if Frank was living wih another male, verses female as to him being more into me as a friend? Or not much? I suppose there is no way to correct this now right?
Tammie (ME!);D

Harley (Red-factor canary)~ RIP my songbird ~5/4/14
Franklin & Olive ( budgie)
Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Will it make a difference?

Post by lovezebs » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:47 pm

Harley2013
Usually, if another bird is available, they will bond with the other bird, rather than the human.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:18 pm

That's what I knew. But, just wondering if it would've been a better outcome if he was with another male.
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:32 pm

I think the outcome would be the same. I have many bonded pairs of finches that are both males.

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm

My parakeets are both males and they're perhaps the most tightly bonded couple I've ever seen. They're incredible, really. They never get sick of each other. And they never fight. They have a bond that most humans spend a lifetime seeking! LOL

But don't let that stop you from interacting with them!

My pair came to me as a bonded pair, not at all hand-friendly. I think it's likely that they were never handled before they came to me.

But I worked to tame them. First offering millet by hand, then touching them as they ate to get them more accustomed to my hands.
They still don't step up properly and they're a bit hand shy, but they'll climb on me and ride on my shoulder and eat from my hands.
I'll keep working with them and eventually, they'll be fairly similar to hand raised 'keets. Just a bit spookier.

At first, they'll cling together because together is safe. So in the beginning, you bond with them as a pair.
But as they get more comfortable, they'll interact with you one-on-one and that will give you an opportunity to bond with them individually.
In these bonded pairs, one always seems to be more bold and daring than the other. So you typically aim to bond with that one first, using their bravery to your advantage.

It takes time and lots of work, but it's totally possible to bond with a pair of birds. I've done it many times.
In the end, they're much happier, less-needy, more secure in their skin since they have a companion even when you're not around.

Don't let their bond with each other discourage you from trying to bond with them as a pair or individually. The relationship between two birds is different from a bird-human relationship, so most are very eager to bond and interact once they overcome that fear. (And overcoming that fear just takes time.)
They're social creatures and in the wild, they live in a flock, not in monogamous pairs. So it's natural for them to forge multiple bonds. (Of course, there are some species that live in monogamous pairs for life. They tend to have a more difficult time forming multiple bonds. It's still possible; just challenging.)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 pm

It would have made no difference, my very closest bonded budgie pair is also of two males, they act exactly like mates, feed one another, and play all day, even playing in nest boxes, though they don't actually mate (some male-male pairs will though).

I don't have experience taming paired birds, my budgies just do their own thing in the aviary and I let them, I don't see a need to tame them. If they ever have offspring I will socialize them, but I don't mind just watching the adults play and do their own thing.
~Dylan

~~~

Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Harley2013 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:13 pm

I enjoy watching too, but would like to have some interaction with them. And down the road, if I do allow them to lay I will socialize more with the babies. Which brings me to my next question totally off topic, but if they both are green body with yellow face, will offspring be all green body with yellow face or....... Could the green yellow be mottled almost a pied look? Attached is Franklin and Olive.
Attachments
image.jpg
Tammie (ME!);D

Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 pm

It shouldn't make a difference that they are bonded. As was mentioned, they are flock birds, so they accept many friends. I have a pair of bonded linnies and they still love to interact with me. They might be a little less bonded to me than if they were single, but I find it a more desperate kind of affection. Kind of like keeping someone isolated from everyone else except for yourself so that they are super happy to see you because you are their only social interaction. I don't like that kind of affection and when I don't have time for the bird, they have each other...and they are glued to each other practically 24/7.
Image Storm & Sky