Communal nesting in budgies!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Communal nesting in budgies!

Post by Sheather » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:10 pm

I have a very odd situation developing in my aviary!

So I have four budgies - three males and one hen. Two of the males have a very strong pair bond. The third male, Alex, and the female, Sunny, have a pair bond, though it's rather weak. The female is five, and this male is only a year old.

So the m/f pair recently mated for the first time after about six months together, and immediately the hen went to nest in one of the parakeet boxes hung on the aviary wall. She began to spend all day, every day inside, being fed by her young mate, and in the last week has laid three eggs so far.

Now, however, I notice her mate has grown bored of helping rear the young, and no longer goes into the box or feeds her inside it. What has happened, however, is that the bonded male pair has begun going in and relieving the hen of her duty and taking turns sitting on her eggs for her while she goes out to eat, relieve herself, or even nap for three to four hours out of the box! I find this very cute but also very unusual, if only because the hen is so comfortable with this arrangement even though she is not bonded to either of these males and before this completely ignored them. While the two boys are taking turns watching her eggs, they switch off every half hour with incubation, and sometimes even both of them sit inside on the eggs at once until the hen returns and they politely exit and go play by themselves until needed again.

I will keep updated on how this unusual arrangement progresses! I very much hope the eggs hatch, as I'm particularly interested to see if the boys will also help feed the young! Has anyone ever seen this sort of group child-rearing arrangement in budgies before?

I don't know much on either of these males' histories, I know that Sydney, an English blue, is 5 years old and may have been bred before. The other male, Arthur (green and yellow pied), was found last summer lost outdoors so his history is completely a mystery.

This is Sunny and Alex.

And this is Sydney and Arthur.
~Dylan

~~~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Communal nesting in budgies!

Post by MiaCarter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:55 am

Well that's curious, isn't it!?

It's not unheard of in the budgie world, as they are super social flock birds. I've seen this with females who had a sort of communal nest. Very society finch-ish.

I'm not all that surprised it's males in your situation. Parakeet gender roles are very blurry. I've seen two males form what's traditionally viewed as a male-female type of relationship. I've seen two females do the same. So it seems gender has virtually no bearing on their relationships and roles within those relationships.
So with that said, it wouldn't be hard to believe that males could take on a more female behavior in terms of incubating and ultimately, raising chicks.

I think you've go something special here! It's always so lovely when the parents feel comfortable enough to share the experience with others.

It's very curious that they had no real relationship prior to this. That's what I find odd. I bet they did have a relationship; I suspect we humans miss out on some of the subtleties.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Communal nesting in budgies!

Post by Sheather » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Well today everyone has abandoned the nest, including Sunny, who hasn't returned to the box in 24 hours. Maybe she's too old to be nesting. I think Arthur and Sydney were trying to help but just weren't aware what to do, it seems they ended up breaking all the eggs this morning. Oh well.
~Dylan

~~~