Bourke Hatchling with Splayed Legs

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Bourke Hatchling with Splayed Legs

Post by ranchnanny » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:37 am

This is the first time I have seen a chick with splayed legs and this is not the first clutch for this pair. I currently have 3 Bourke hatchlings and yesterday I noticed one chicks leg sticking out picked it up and saw its legs splayed.... :( the other two are fine. I googled and found many videos on how to deal with splayed legs. I watched one video where the guy used nylon ties one on each leg and one connecting the two legs then watched one where they used foam makeup pads. I chose to use the foam pads as they would not irritate the babies legs. Followed instructions and got the baby all set up and will check it as often as I can so as not to disturb mom and dad feeding them to much. All the chicks are well fed with full crops. =D>

Will get a photo in the morning and post it. I [-o< that this little one makes it.

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets
3 Schnauzers Archie Joey Tucker

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Bourke Hatchling with Splayed Legs

Post by debbie276 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:01 am

Are they sitting on a slippery surface? Most times splay leg is because the chick can not get their legs underneath them because it's too slippery. It's very easy to fix especially when you catch it early. Had it happen with a couple chickens years ago, just hobbled the legs together and didn't take long before I could take it off.

Best of luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 pm

In addition to what debbie276 mentioned, it can also happen when there's not enough of a nest shape with the nesting material.
That's a common problem for hookbills, especially 'keets. Some seem to prefer a near-bare floor in the nest box.
So it's slippery, like Debbie mentioned, and it lacks the nest shape, which naturally pushes the chick's legs under their body.

I know that some use a felt pad on the bottom to solve the slippery-ness issue.

I've dealt with a juvenile who had splayed legs. It was sun conure and she was much older. I got her around 6 or 8 weeks, if I recall?
I tried using a sponge, but she kept biting at it and I was afraid she'd eat it. So I had to use the fabric tape instead.
I imagine you won't have any trouble with the makeup sponge as long as he's super young. They're not mouthy until they're older. But I'd keep an eye on the parents. If you see any missing sponge bits, you might want to switch to another method.

My results weren't that good because of the bird's age. The bones, muscles, ligaments, etc. were more fully formed since she was a bit older when I got her.
We got the legs to go in somewhat - enough to be totally functional. But it wasn't a normal stance by any means.
But with the young ones, I know you can get really good results since they're still growing and the bones aren't fully matured yet.

I'd just make sure he's propped up and positioned in a way so that he doesn't tip over and end up stuck on his side.
The sponge method doesn't allow for much movement at all, so you can end up with a situation where the baby falls over and they get stuck on their side. I imagine it would be uncomfortable, but it could also prevent him from eating properly.

So I'd peek in to ensure he's upright.
If he's tipping over and getting stuck on his side, there's another method where you make something that looks like a baby walker (only it's stationary.) So they sit in a little cradle (for larger birds, some people use a canary nests, with two leg holes cut in the bottom.) and it's propped upright.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks all for all the ideas...
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

Societies&Zebras
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Societies&Zebras » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm

I hate to see babies with splayed legs. :( Hope he lives a good, and long life. I wish you luck with the cutie.
Hi I'm Zachariah.
Zebras: Celeste&Piper&Isabelle +2 babies!!
And hopefully many more finches to come!!!! :) :D :) :D

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Checked him today several times and he is doing alright just a little adjustment. Dad is feeding them on a regular basis...keeping my fingers crossed [-o<
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:09 am

if the hen is removing nesting material when she lays eggs it is alright to go in add more kiln dried pine under the chicks after they have hatches, grass keets have a tendency to clear the floor in a small area of the nest box...I always check and add more pine under young.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm

ranchnanny - That's great news! I'm glad to hear he's getting fed and doing well. Some of the more sensitive parents can get upset by something as small as banding the babies, so as you can imagine, the big foam leg splint can be even more upsetting! So it's good that they're accepting and okay with it.

I'm sure he'll be fixed up in no time! Keep us posted!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Update: the hatchling is not growing don't think it is doing well. I did band the other two hatchlings today and am thrilled that the one rosy has so much yellow on its feathers and tail area. The other hatchling is normal with lots of blue.

Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

ranchnanny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by ranchnanny » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:15 pm

Took off the foam and his legs are really bad splayed badly and its feet are turned the wrong way.... Poor thing I don't know what to do. Should I put it down if so how do I do it?
Sherry

Canary
4 Parakeets

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:14 pm

I wouldn't give up on him.
He's only got one shot at life; I wouldn't take that from him.

Disabled babies are often much slower to develop, so what you're seeing is quite common.
It's possible (likely, even) that he's not getting as much food as the siblings. The splint can be off-putting to the parents. And if he's less mobile, he's going to be less able to position himself at the front of the pack at feeding time. So it's likely that he's getting less food and his growth is stunted as a result.
The deformity itself could even be sapping energy if it takes him more energy to get around.

Can he stand at all and potentially perch? If so, I wouldn't be too worried, as he'll figure out his own way of doing things.
Even if he can't stand and perch normally, I'm sure he can figure out a way of getting around.
I had a parakeet who's legs had been amputated because she was attacked and mangled by a larger bird. She had one amputation near the hip and one leg stump, about 3/4 inch long. She got around incredibly well using just her stump and her wings. She was incredible! And so joyful. She was left in a box outside the door at our vet's office. The vet didn't euthanize; he chose life for her and I'm so happy he did! She was such a wonderful bird, despite her disability.

I would keep the foam on there. It takes a few weeks for the deformity to correct itself. Even if his feet are twisted, getting them into a more normal position will definitely help. (And I would do it now, because when he gets older, the results from splinting won't be as good. It's essential to keep it on there while he's still growing.)

I would also give him some extra food to catch up. Some supplementary feedings with handfeeding formula will go a long way toward helping him catch up to the siblings. I'd aim to give him 3-4 meals/day.

I definitely wouldn't put him down.
This is his life. He's only got one. This is all he knows, so he doesn't have a sense of loss or even a sense of being different. It's just how life is for him.
He's likely not in pain or discomfort. And he can live a close to normal life, even if his feet and legs don't work properly. You could adapt a special cage for him.
Or if you don't want to keep him, I'm sure there are lots of people who would take him. (In fact, if you're willing to ship, I would be happy to take him myself! You'd have to wait until he's weaned.)
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com