Freebee , tossing seeds.

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Freebee , tossing seeds.

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Is it possible she's upset that she's not getting handled often enough for her liking?

Sometimes they'll become standoffish if they feel like they're not getting the attention they deserve.
Did she ever really enjoy handling and exploring? If so, this could be it. The solution is to shut them out of the cage and basically force them to interact. They get over it pretty quickly, usually within a day or two.

Otherwise, I think she may be bored.
I need to rotate toys once a week and I try to add a few new ones each month to keep my guys busy. And I need to do different toy styles too. (e.g. some mirrors, some bells, others are chewys, others climbing, etc.)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:44 pm

MiaCarter

Freebee, never did take to handling too much, even though I did try. There was a period there, when I simply had no time to do any work with her. She never got beyond that, and hadn't let me handle her since without screeching like she's being skinned alive.

I'd thought that if I put her together with Opie, than at lesst they would be company for each other. As it turns out, they tolerate each other, barely.

To be honest with you, there are times, when I wish I'd stuck with Finches.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:12 am

Hmmm....that's curious.
Especially with her lack of bond with Opie. Usually when they're not bonded to a human, they bond with another bird in very short order.

With all this in mind, I think it does sound like she's bored/frustrated. So it's probably just a matter of finding some toys and activities that entertain her.
I think of my guys and they're always playing with and engaging each other or a toy......or loving on rope buddy. :shock: :shock:
Without each other, I imagine they would be quite bored, even with toys. She doesn't have a relationship to occupy her time, so I think she's going to be extra reliant on toys.
So I'd try making up some for her or buy a few to see what she likes. I leave them in there until they get bored and stop playing with them. That's when I know it's time to rotate them. My guys get toys switched every 5-7 days. I've had some though that needed a daily rotation. And thinking back, they were birds who weren't all that social so they relied more heavily upon toys.

Even if you don't want babies, I might reconsider a nest just to give her something to do. (You'd just need to be sure you pulled any eggs!)
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com