Hookbills + A House Chicken?

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Hookbills + A House Chicken?

Post by MiaCarter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Okay, so after reading these comments, I realized I too had a few questions!

So I just got off an hour-long call with Cecilia's owners.
Yes. Her name is Cecilia. Crack. Me. Up!

So, here's the deal:

Apparently, they got her from some farmer who was going to cull her because she has a gimpy wing and a deformed toe. (Seems like pretty small beans to me, as she can walk just fine and flutters. And it's not like chickens are big flyers anyways. But I digress.)

So they took Cecilia and raised her indoors.

She's 16 months old.

She wears more than just a diaper. It's like an outfit as they described it. Similar to this, I think:
http://www.pamperyourpoultry.com/attire

Apparently the mom likes to sew and she has about 50 different custom-tailored outfits. (Which is great because those diapers/outfits are pricey!)

Diapering is pretty easy as I understand it. You put a maxi pad in the diaper part, so I think it works similar to a doggy diaper.

They've trimmed up the area around her vent so it doesn't get poopy.
She said they change her every 90 -120 min or so during the day. You just wipe with a sensitive skin baby wipe (yes, sensitive skin variety was specified) and replace the maxi pad.
They said that they can tell when she needs to be changed. (Maybe she walks funny? Not sure!)

At night, she goes "naked" (her words, not mine....So I guess she hasn't made any nighties for her. =)) )

She sleeps in a custom-built hut. She described it as a little mini hen house structure on an elevated platform. She does her sleeping and egg laying in there.
The hut is surrounded by a small wooden sand box-type structure, which is enclosed with a small fence. So she hangs out in that area under the hen house until you wake up and put on her diaper and let her wander freely.

I asked about the smell. I DO NOT want my house to smell like a barn yard. I already drive myself nuts cleaning the cat litter boxes compulsively.
She assured me that there is no smell as long as you use the diaper and clean the hen house daily.

I am concerned about the potential for parasites and so forth, since I assume she was born to an outdoor bird in a farm setting. But they said they would let me treat her at their home before I take her. They were more concerned about her finding a loving home where she'll be treated like the princess that she is vs. getting rid of her asap. She seemed pretty confident that she is parasite-free and healthy and said she'd treated her when she first got her (yet they've let her outside, so who knows.) I know she believes she's "clean" as she obviously has no hesitation about letting her young children live in the same house as the bird.

I asked about aggression with the cats and she said it's not really aggression, just fearless curiosity. I think i know exactly what she means as my cats were terrified of the rats, who had no qualms about walking right up to them to investigate. So I suspect it's something like that.

I'm not too worried about the possibility of fallen babies, as I do all breeding in-cage. Abby the cockatiel makes that a requisite as she eats finch eggs like candy and tried to peck at one of the zebra finch hatchlings when I had them out once. (And if I hadn't moved quickly, I think she would have stolen him!)
So we're already limited to cage-only breeding.

Apparently Cecilia is just fine with small dogs. I currently have only small dogs, but I'd need to commit to keeping my pack all-small for the next 6-9 years (average Silkie lifespan). I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

So I've got some thinking to do!

This is definitely a frou frou chicken.....one who's very loved. That's for sure!

As an aside, I pointed out that she sounds like quite the little chicken princess and she made a funny remark: "Oh, we don't dye her hair or anything like that."

So naturally, I googled "dyed silkie chickens" and the results are.....interesting.
I invite you to google that exact term.
You get images of chicken indignity such as this....
http://bit.ly/1xXmtN2

....though I must say, I really love their necklaces.
And the pink is actually quite pretty! =)) =)) =))

And a final funny: the friend who told me about Cecilia's plight said, "When I heard that this house chicken needed a home, I thought of you immediately!"

So I guess others think I'm the type of person who would have a house chicken?!
I hate to admit it, but I think they're right as I REALLY want her! She sounds like the type of pet who will make me smile.
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 pm

MiaCarter

Well Mia my dear.......

If it doesn't work out, I'm free for dinner the third Thursday in April..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :-)

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:16 am

Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:02 am

So now you are going to be going through maxi pads and baby wipes every 1 1/2 hours or so? Not to mention keeping the feathers trimmed. I agree, there wouldn't be much smell if you constantly change her and clean the "hen house" daily.
Starting to sound like more time and work then handfeeding LOL

Can't wait to hear what you've decided.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 am

You must be very, very dedicated.
~Dylan

~~~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

Yeah, it's definitely a commitment. Lots to consider.

For what it's worth, I've done the diapering thing before with dogs. One paraplegic and one quadruplegic and one with the dog version of multiple sclerosis.
The paraplegic and quadruplegics were incontinent due to spinal damage. The one with canine MS had nerve damage that made her unable to walk and incontinent.

And while it sounds like a pain in the bum (no pun intended), it's really not that bad. I guess no worse than a baby.
I didn't mind it when I had to do it with the dogs. I loved them and it was just something they needed to stay healthy and happy, so I didn't mind.
It was a labor of love, I guess?

The question is do I want to diaper a chicken?
Definitely gotta think this one through!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 am

MiaCarter

Mia honey, don't be :shock: , you know I was only joking :-)
Good luck with your Chicken.

~Elana~
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:17 pm

I have outddoor chickens, and would not want an indoor chicken, even if it wore a diaper...... I would be very afraid to let it near my finches. Chicken poop is like tar...........
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I love my outdoor chickens, but they are so messy - and yes, chicken poop smells quite bad...... They only time they are allowed in the house is when they are tiny chicks, confined to their box. By the time they are a few weeks old, the smell reminds to get them in their enclosure in the coop.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:20 pm

wilkifam --- Yeah, that's a major concern.

I think I need to see how this all works for myself, so I'm going to schedule to meet her.

So I can see for myself if it's smelly with the routine she's developed for her. I know you can get acclimated to smells and don't necessarily notice them after a while. So perhaps she doesn't realize she smells?

The smell I think is my major worry, combined with any potential for disharmony in the bird room.
I know she wrote she was okay with other birds, but I forgot to ask what type of other birds!
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:02 am

MiaCarter

Hi Mia.
I have given your chicken situation some thought. Initially, I was thinking... 8-} 8-} , but then I started thinking about it more along the chicken's point of view, her needs, her wants, and what's best for her.

The thing that came to mind mostly, was, that if I was a chicken, I wouldn't want to live like that. The more I thought of it, the more convinced I became.

Why not give her a chance to be a real chicken, instead of this warped wanna-be-baby thing for some human? Why not give her a small corner in your yard, with a little coop to live in , and let her scratch in the dirt, and lay eggs, and eat worms, etc. No diapers, no having your ass shaved and your beautiful chicken body poked into ridiculous clothing.

What do you think? Wouldn't it be the greatest gift to this creature, to let her lead as normal a life as possible? Just something to think about, of what she would want, if given a choice (?)

~Elana~
~Elana~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:24 am

^^^ I really agree ^^^

I think chickens belong outdoors.

I don't really like the idea of house pets that need to wear diapers (I mean excluding for health reasons, like an older dog or cat). Parrots, monkeys... chickens... anything, if it needs a diaper not to soil your house, I don't really know if it should be living... in your house.
~Dylan

~~~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 pm

OMG....never thought I'd be reading this kind of thread on "finch forum"....you guys crack me up....never a dull moment here!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Jen

You mean you've never heared of the Great Chicken Finch ? :shock:
Jenny, really!? I thought everyone on the Forum knew about them.

:)) :)) :))

~Elana~
~Elana~

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:36 am

Jen lovezebs -- Exactly! A chicken finch!

lovezebs --- I like your points and totally agree. I'm one who doesn't like it when people deny a creature's natural inclinations, thereby preventing an animal from being an animal.
There's a stand up comedy bit by Chris Rock and he says something to the effect of this: "A tiger bit a man in the head and everyone's mad at the tiger. People say 'That tiger went crazy!' That tiger didn't go crazy; that tiger went tiger! You know when a tiger goes crazy? It's when he's riding a little bike around in the circus ring with a little helmet on and he's thinking 'I must be crazy.'"

That said, I met Cecilia the chicken yesterday. She is fabulous. She loves attention and pets and so forth.

And in all honesty, I don't think she'd be happy outdoors. They do have a chicken coop area with lots of other chickens. I asked to see how she did with them and she didn't relate to them at all. She became very distressed and was totally focused on trying to get back out so she could follow us. She didn't leave the area right by the gate and had no apparent interest in the other birds. She got a bit snippity and peckey when some of the other hens approached to investigate.

I've seen this before in hand-raised parrots who were kept as a single bird and have only interacted with humans. You put them in an aviary with other parrots and they freak out because they have no idea how to socialize with other birds. (Which is why I'm a big proponent of leaving young birds together so they can learn to socialize properly. It makes me sad when I see an animal who can't (or won't) socialize with their own species.)

Unfortunately I wouldn't be a candidate for keeping an outdoor chicken. I'd love, love, love some outdoor chickens. But we have too many predators. We live in a semi-rural area with a huge forest reserve at the end of the street. People have no qualms with letting their cats and dogs run lose. And we get wild dogs and cougars from the forest too.

The ''other birds'' that she lives with are lovebirds, a conure (indoors) and there's the other chickens and a peacock (outdoors). But again, it's not like she "got along" with them; they were just peacefully coexisting.

She was quite content to be outdoors while we were there and she followed us around. I asked her to show me what happens when you try to leave her out there alone and she does the same thing she did in the chicken area. Sat at the door, pecked and pouted. (Though I understand this, as chickens are social, flock-ey creatures, so I imagine she would feel vulnerable alone.) I was actually shocked by her persistence as chickens really aren't that bright. They usually forget about and get over things very fast.

My best guess is that she thinks she's a human and feels like they're her flock.

She doesn't smell, nor does the house. I was quite surprised by this.
Her little indoor chicken coop is quite clever. It's a hut on stilts, which sit inside a sandbox-type structure, about 10 feet square. The gate is left open much of the time and she seems to enjoy foraging in there for little bits and treats.

She has some odd deformities. One wing is super tiny. less than half the size of the other. It's all there; just small and gimpy. She has a bad foot too. There's a missing a toe. It almost looks like two toes fused together, as she has a fatter-than-normal toe beside the area where the missing toe would have been. And the foot is strangely crooked. She's got a slight limp, but she gets around well.

So yeah. That's the deal with the chicken.

Lots of thinking to do! I'm not sure. I need to think it through.
Humum to....
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

www.PetFinchFacts.com