Some questions

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Re: Some questions

Post by MiaCarter » Mon May 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Sheather -- I dip mine in a bleach-water solution to kill off any nasties, then dip in clean water and finally rinse.
The bleach water doesn't hurt the foliage or branches. (In fact, you can add a bit of bleach to the water for cut flowers to make them live longer in a vase.)

I've only had one Eclectus and she was just a sweetheart.
She was old - 36 (believe it or not, that was considered a "special need" and why she came to me). She lived to 41 when she passed away (and I believe they can live a fair bit longer, even.)

She was super calm and not vocal at all. She'd coo a lot. Never screamed or chewed or did anything destructive. She was very much a loner and didn't really seem to crave the attention of other birds or humans, which is why I think she never learned how to talk. To get a bird to talk, they need to really enjoy engaging and Darcy was just as happy napping in the window as socializing. She didn't crave attention like many others. She could take it or leave it. She seemed to enjoy watching the world rather than engaging in it.

Her favorite things to do were eat fruits, play in the sink, and sit in the sun napping.
I always attributed her laid back demeanor to her age, but I know that she was fairly typical of this species too. They're relatively calm and quiet as far as parrots go!!

I bet you're going to love her!
This is one species where I think the girls are much prettier than the boys!
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Some questions

Post by cindy » Tue May 26, 2015 10:57 am

Sheather wrote: Well bleaching and drying utterly defeats the point of fresh branches, with leaves and shoots and flowers to strip...
I would rather take my avian vet's advice than treat for illness later.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only