Parrotlets?

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lnlovesorange
4 Eggs Laid
4 Eggs Laid

Parrotlets?

Post by lnlovesorange » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello all my finch and hookbill lovers. I have the opportunity to become mother to a Parrotlet (I believe by the end of the summer, is when the breeder is hoping they will be "ready" of course providing the parents cooperate and actually pro create, and all goes well) So If so, I could adopt a parrotelt. I wanted a Tiel, as I love them I think they have great personalities, and I just really want a hookbill, I want a bird that actually wants me around (don't get me wrong, wouldn't trade in my finches for a million dollars....) but I have been thinking of a hookbill for a while now. Again, I originally thought of a tiel as I love the look of them, and the little bit i've read up on and heard they have great personalities. However, I would only want to get a tiel from a breeder not a pet store, because the pet store wouldn't know the age, and a million and other things, that I don't need to get into as all you bird lovers already know...
ANYHOW, the only breeder that I could find (for my gouldians actually) near me, that actually returned my email I asked her about this she no longer breeds tiels, however she does breed Parrotlets, and said they are a GREAT bird. I wanted to ask my fellow finch/hookbill lovers what you all thought. Any thoughts on this, and any experience would be great. thanks everyone. BTW, I know we have some time, but I'm the type of person that I over analiyze and over prepare for EVERYTHING. Again, thanks for any info/experience.

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Re: Parrotlets?

Post by finchandlovebird » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I had 2 of them a while back; sweet little birds. I'm assuming the breeder hand feeds them in order for them to be tame? If not, should be easy enough to tame a young bird. Have a little "play gym" so he can be on that when out of the cage; they are fascinating little guys :D
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:27 pm

I almost got a parrotlet. They seemed like great birds. I ended up settling on Linnie's because they had a better chance of getting along with my canaries and I preferred their look. But it was a close decision. Parrotlets are spunky and big parrots in a small body.
Image Storm & Sky

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Parrotlets can be a bit unpredictable as they mature... a beautifully tame and socialized parrotlet is great but keep in mind they have an Amazon parrot's intelligence. Some stay tame but others around about 1 1/2 to 3 yrs old may decide they no longer want to be pets and will show a territorial behavior of their cage, toys, food dishes. They can refuse to socialize with you. They can bite, drawing blood. The slightest fast movement can set them off, I never recommended them for small children as pets.

I use to raise them.. a good friend of mine has raised them for years and works with them daily while handfeeding. She can tell which stand a better chance of staying tame than not. She often tells me that parrotlets tend to choose whether they will be a pet or not. I personally had handfeds, one in particular was tame and friendly until he passed, the other started out tame and loving but around 2 1/2 decided he liked his cage and toys over me and became extremely territorial. Temperaments vary from bird to bird. When looking for one do not go based on how cute and colorful it is but how well it is socialized and willingly comes to you. Just because a bird is handfed does not mean it is tame. You are better off with a handfed baby that is well socialized than a non hand fed, non socialized parrotlet tends to be more withdrawn.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only