Pasadena Bird Fair Find !!!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Pasadena Bird Fair Find !!!

Post by Jen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:01 am

Thank you Sally for reminding me of the bird fair that I would have missed without you!!! I LOVE bird fairs and had a fun time. Met a really nice couple that live about an hour from me and hoping to keep in contact. I went looking for a Rosey male for my "Lily" but didn't find one. Instead I came home with a pair of BEAUTIFUL Scarlets.

Hoping Cindy sees this and comments. This is my first pair and have been reading about them. I want to get started on the right foot with them. The female is VERY quiet (like Lily) but the male flies back and forth in the cage. Is that normal? They are in a 36" flight temporarily until I move them to a larger area. I'm thinking of putting them in my outdoor aviary, but want to make sure they are acclimated to the heat. They would love all that extra space to fly.
Attachments
DSC_1023~2.jpg

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Re: Pasadena Bird Fair Find !!!

Post by finchandlovebird » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am

:!: congrats :!: More of us are getting Scarlets so it will be fun to share info about them. :D
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:14 am

Congrats on the find! Glad you had fun at the Pasadena bird mart. This is a new mart for that area, and I'm hearing that the owner plans to continue in that area, though possibly moving to another venue. I don't know anything about any hookbills, but I'm sure others will be able to help you. Beautiful birds!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

jamezyboo21
Weaning
Weaning

Post by jamezyboo21 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Very pretty birds. I thought about getting a pair in the future.
Society Finches, Fire Finches, Strawberry Finches, Owl Finches, Plum Head Finch, Goldbreast Waxbill Finches, Orange Cheek Waxbill Finches, Blue Capped Cordon Finches, Zebra Finches, Bronzewing Mannikin Finches, Red-Cheek Cordon Blue Finches, and Button Quail

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Beautiful birds. I considered a pair, but heard they can be sensitive to cold, so no good for me in the winter.
Image Storm & Sky

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Atbird
I have these birds inside a flight in my house. I'm too unsure about them to put them in my outdoor aviary. They would love the large free fly area I have but I don't want to learn something at their "expense". I'm in Texas where it is HUMID and HOT in summer and DAMP and COLD in winter....and DAMP and COOL in Spring but FALL is OK !!!??!!! LOL that last about 60 days out of the year! So please, if you have experience with these beautiful birds, please comment!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:16 pm

I had scarlets for a while [no longer do] and mine came from an outdoor aviary in central Phoenix. You want hot?? We get it. 114 today.
They did fine with our summer heat and with the occasional overnight freezes we get in winter. These small hookbills are tough.

More recently I bought some yellow turqs from a different local breeder who has several outdoor flights. His scarlets, Bourkes and turquisines all live outdoors year round.

The upshot is that it is unlikely that heat will bother them. In Oz. they live in hot dry scrubby bushland so are not an inherently tender bird. Just make sure they have access to several sources of water.

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:59 am

Thank you paul-inAZ !!! I'm so happy to hear this about Scarlets outdoors. Oh and 114 degrees ??!!!??!?! NO THANKS! Don't know how you do it out there. Thank goodness for A/C !!!

Jenny