Sam is All Grown Up and Has a Big Extended Family

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Sheather
Proven
Proven

Sam is All Grown Up and Has a Big Extended Family

Post by Sheather » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:03 am

Sam, as some may remember from when he was a wee lad, is our now eleven week old male normal green parakeet whom was born and raised in our aviary and removed from his flock for socialization as a house pet at 5.5 weeks.

After 6 weeks on his own, he became completely trusting and tame, the first tame budgie we'd had, and seeing how playful he was and how he adored mirrors and other birds, it was time for him to get a buddy of his own kind again - but a young one who now would follow his lead, rather than the set-in-their ways wild adults who live in the flight room upstairs.

So in came Frosty, who was adopted from an outside source just recently. Frosty is 6 weeks, and he was not handled at all until he came to live with us. Didn't matter, though - he took right after Sam. The two are now best friends and completely inseparable. Sam hasn't lost an ounce of his human love, though - rather, he became a perfect role model to teach Frosty to trust people, too! Now both are very tame and very sweet.

Sam and Frosty are but two of many birds we have, of course. Not counting the four budgies upstairs, or the seven doves or droves of finches, Sam also has three little baby siblings right now - two of whom, I believe are definitely little girls (thus not good candidates as lifelong companions for Sam lest we have inbreeding!) and the third of whom is too young to tell. In range of oldest to youngest, these three little fellas - all green, like their brother and their father - are Uno, Charlie, and Peanut - the last of whom is ten days behind his or her oldest sibling in the clutch and barely has opened his eyes while the other two are rapidly feathering.

And this family has one oddball, too - Sparky, a twelve day old ringneck dove, who dwarfs his pals by four or five times but wouldn't hurt a fly. Sparky of course has his own parents whom he returns to after playtime, as the budgie chicks do with their own, but several times each day everyone loves to hang out and cuddle with his smaller peers.

And the big kids aren't too big to visit them at these times, either.

Sam is too on the go and busy to spend too much time with his baby siblings, though. He loves them, but they cramp his style. He has things to chew, to chase, to explore! No time to snuggle.

But Frosty isn't quite so on-the-go. He still has a bit more nestling in him, and does enjoy an occasional cuddle with the kids, when keeping up with Sam becomes a tad too tiring. The kids do seem to love him just as much!

(pictures taken in the lap of my great grandmother, whom is 97 and adores all of our little feathered friends).
~Dylan

~~~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Sam is All Grown Up and Has a Big Extended Family

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:01 am

Great photos, and how wonderful for you to still have your great-grandmother! Don't miss out on the opportunity to hear her stories of how the world has changed since she was a young girl!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for sharing these great photos! Such a heart warming story...

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Such great photos
Image Storm & Sky

Colt
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Colt » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:21 pm

Great photos.

Amethyst Starling
BF and RT Parrot Finch
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin
Lady Gouldian
Owl Finch
Shaft-tail Finch
Society Finch
Star Finch
Strawberry
Tri-colored Nun
Zebra Finch
Diamond Dove
Bourke & Scarlet-chested Parakeet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brushy-C ... 0659711916

MiaCarter
Molting
Molting

Post by MiaCarter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:12 am

Aw, I love the photos of granny with the basket of babies! So sweet!

What a little cutie pie!
I love my budgies. They are the happiest, jolliest little creatures EVER!

I'm so glad your little Sam stayed hand tame! I remember those photos of him in the grass. So cute!
Humum to....
13 Zebra Finches....and 2 squeeps!
3 Society Finches
6 Gouldians
1 Weaver
1 Pintail Whydah
2 Cockatiels
2 Parakeets

....along with 1 MinPin, 1 Pug, 1 JRT, 1 Yorkie, 2 Chihuahuas and 15 cats.

www.PetFinchFacts.com