Introducing Corky, the African Grey Parrot

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Introducing Corky, the African Grey Parrot

Post by Jen » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:19 am

KarenB
Happy New Year Karen! So happy to hear how well you and Corky are doing. I totally enjoyed Alex and Me and all the wonderful work and discoveries of Irene Pepperberg. I know Corky will continue to improve with all of your love and patience. So happy you found each other! Keep in touch and post photos of Corky when you get time. I think your story with Corky is fascinating.

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:40 am

KarenB

I think the fact that he regurgitates for you, and comes looking for you, is very telling. He loves you and tries to feed you, and seeks you out, and that is absolutely wonderful :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:52 pm

This would be Corky regurgitating for me <3
Attachments
20160101_204339.jpg
KarenB

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:50 am

KarenB

How sweet! He's a handsome guy!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

CROSS POSTED FROM "SAD NEWS RE: ANNIE"

"Corky, my grey parrot, has made great progress lately with the whole taming thing, but still has a way to go. He will now climb down from his cage and go find me, and I get him to step up from there and take him wherever I'm going to be and let him hang out with me there. He seems content with that. Yesterday I took him to the groomer for his nails, which I thought might be traumatic, but he got over it."
KarenB

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:36 pm

KarenB

So glad to hear that Corkey is doing well , and coming along so nicely with his rehab. Good for you, and so good for him.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:23 pm

KarenB

Wow he has made great strides! Go Corkey!

tam
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by tam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm so glad that their are people out there like your karen. CONGRATS. he's beautiful.

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:21 pm

KarenB

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:10 pm

tam wrote: I'm so glad that their are people out there like your karen. CONGRATS. he's beautiful.
Thanks!
KarenB

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Babs wrote: KarenB

Wow he has made great strides! Go Corkey!
He's pretty awesome :)
KarenB

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:17 pm

KarenB

I just came across this thread....I'm so glad he ended up with you! I love the picture of you two together :D
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:18 pm

KarenB

You both are just beautiful! Enjoy your newest lifelong friend!

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:45 am

slwatson wrote: KarenB

I just came across this thread....I'm so glad he ended up with you! I love the picture of you two together :D
Thanks!

He has been therapeutic for me. As some people may know, I lost my last grey parrot, Beau, aka Beau Bird, about five or so years ago after having him for about 14 years. He had developed seizures, and after so many tests it was determined he probably had some sort of tumor in his brain. We kept him stable for a couple years on meds, but one weekend he just went down hill fast. He was my second grey. I had lost the first one, Buddy, to Ptittacine Beak and Feather Disease after only having him three years. He was diagnosed at year two and I watched him slowly decline. It was the longest grieving period Ive ever had. Buddy and I were inseparable. I've never had a bird that understood me so well. We communicated without words. He never did talk much. But oh how I loved Buddy. After the entire house had been disinfected, that's when I got Beau.

So after Beau died I swore no more grey parrots. After about two birdless years, which was rare for me since I've always, my entire life, had some bird or another, that is when I went to a show and discovered the waxbills. I thought it would be easy to care for them and I wouldn't have to handle them and or go through what i had gone through with the greys. A couple years after that my spouse talked me into getting Zoe. She's a macaw so that was okay, and I got to have a parrot again.

But a grey parrot person never really changes, so when the opportunity presented itself to get Corky, you know I had to set aside my fears and help this bird. He has helped me, as well, to overcome my deep grief from Beau and heal in a new way. It's hard to explain. Anyway, that's my grey story.
KarenB

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:15 am

KarenB
I haven't been on this forum long enough to know your story. I'm sorry for your loss but happy you and Corky found each other! Great picture of you two! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny