Introducing Corky, the African Grey Parrot

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
KarenB
Proven
Proven

Introducing Corky, the African Grey Parrot

Post by KarenB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:32 pm

The story is that Corky was owned by this lady (we'll call her Grandmom), and when she died, her daughter inherited him. Well, the daughter's husband was mean and verbally abusive and intolerant of anything parrot, and Corky spent most of his time locked up in a back bedroom with a cover over his "cage" to keep him quiet.....for 7 years! He was about 6 or 7 years old at the time he was inherited. To top it off, they kept him in a smallish dog crate that whole time because, the story goes, his original cage had rusted. The granddaughter finally talked the mom into letting her take Corky to try and give him a better life. She finally relented. I guess she had a hard time letting him go because he belonged to Grandmom, and since it was a thing of hers, that's really the only reason she wanted him in the first place, not even really being an animal lover at all. And, well, her nasty husband.....

So granddaughter and her husband took him to their condo. They bought him the biggest dog crate they could find. I guess they couldn't afford a cage. It's a nice crate considering, but it sat on the floor. Well, they never had birds so didn't know the first thing about how to handle a parrot, so he remained largely dog-crate-bound, though no longer covered up except at night. They had these iron grabber things that they would hook onto the edge of the crate to carry it with, saving their fingers from a potential bite through the bars, to take him out onto the balcony and give him sunshine and fresh air. They were so afraid of his beak that they never tried to handle him at all. They had a special cover they used to cover over the opening of the door so they could feed him.

This couple decided that Corky needed a better life than what even they could give him, and longer story shorter, asked if I would take him. Having lost my own grey a few years ago, it was not a tough decision, and I accepted.

I first sat his crate onto a folding table to get him off the floor. I opened the crate door and took out each perch one by one to clean it, then put it back. The food bowls were never really cleaned out. I think they just added food on top of hulls on top of hulls. Anyway, I kept his door open for two days, and then..........he came out :)

KarenB

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Re: Introducing Corky, the African Grey Parrot

Post by KarenB » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:41 pm

He now resides in the largest parrot castle I could find with a play top, and he shares the play trees with Zoe, our blue-throated macaw. Zoe wants to be friends but Corky is not having it.

I am making slow progress with him. We are learning to trust one another more. It's been about six weeks now, and I already love him.
KarenB

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:22 pm

KarenB

Karen, he is absolutely GORGEOUS !!!!

He is amazingly handsome, and In good shape for a bird kept in a dog crate.......why would anyone ever keep a Parrot in a dog crate, is beyond me . Poor little guy, what a life.

Why do these people get these birds ???

Would love to see more pictures, and hear more about his progress as he comes out of his shell.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

delray
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire
Tech Assistant, Social Media Manager & Mod Extraordinaire

Post by delray » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:32 pm

KarenB congratulations Karen!! You're awesome
Brian
Phineas: Lightly Pied Chestnut
Ferb: Dilute Fawn

FINCHforum Moderator & Social Media Manager

Instagram: https://instagram.com/finchforum/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FINCHforum

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:34 am

Looks like a nice set up he's got now! I'm surprised how great he looks especially the nails and beak. Did you do a little grooming before the pictures?

Glad he found someone who understands parrots. :)
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Rox
Proven
Proven

Post by Rox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:55 am

Well done on giving Corky the home he deserves!!! He is going to be so happy with you =D> =D>
Roxanne

Gouldian's, Blue Breasted Cordon Bleu's, Orange-cheeks, Violet-eared, Black-cheeked waxbill's and Peter's Twinspots

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 am

Great story, I love a happy ending!!
congratulations and best of luck with him =D>
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:30 am

KarenB
Corky is beautiful. How lucky for both of you to find each other and have such a happy ending to this sad story. Please keep posting photos and let us know how he progresses. Looks like you've done a great job so far! =D>

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 am

I took him straight to the groomer before I even went home with him, to have his nails done and wing feathers trimmed. He was fully flighted and his nails were super long. I thought it best to trim the flight feathers while we were getting acclimated, to give me the control should I need it. Zoe is fully flighted and has the run of the house. I may let Corky's grow out. We'll see. One of the first things he did when he got out of the crate is hang on and flap like mad.

And the Kilauea Kastle. It's 40" X 30" X 73":

Last edited by KarenB on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KarenB

KarenB
Proven
Proven

Post by KarenB » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:27 am

Story about the photo of Corky on the tree: He had fluttered to the ground once when I was trying to get him to step up onto my hand. He stepped up from the ground and I put him on the tree. That toy he's got, the yellow thing, I offered to him numerous times, and each time he would drop it. He FINALLY kept it, realized that I wasn't going to give up, and he ended up completely destroying it.
KarenB

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am

KarenB

LOL !
He was telling you, ok, you want me to have this yellow thing. ..... I'll show you what I can do with it :twisted:
I bet the poor guy flapped like mad, probably never had the opportunity to do so before. His flight muscles must be like those of a fledgling.
Once he's settled and calm, and you let his flight feathers grow back, can you imagine what it will be like, to have the chance to actually fly after all these years ?

I'm so happy that he found you.

Elana

I love his new home by the way, and I bet he does as well. Definitely a big upgrade from the dog crate.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Hey Karen.

How is Corky doing?

Elana
~Elana~

Atbird
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Atbird » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 am

He looks great. I am glad he found a great home.
Image Storm & Sky

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 pm

OMG he looks so happy.

If my boyfriend of 8 years told me to keep my pet in isolation, the BOYFRIEND would be the one sleeping in the stinkin crate! B-(

Babs

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Wonderful story! Congratulations Corky :)