For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: URGENT HELP

Post by lovezebs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:17 am

sundancekid

LOL !!! So much for hubbies input, eh?

Just like with drinking, you may not see him eat, but he will when you're not looking.
Budgies, are funny this way, they tend to think that eating and drinking places them in a vulnerable position for predators, so unless they know you, they will not eat or drink when you're looking at them.

In a new environment, they will often just sit like a statue, trying to make themselves small and invisible. Sometimes they'll do this for a long time, until they get to feel more comfortable in their new surroundings.

Good luck with your founding :-)

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sundancekid
Nestling
Nestling

Post by sundancekid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Well, I put up flyers and a found ad on craigslist, but no responses. I'll be ordering him his own flight in the next few days. Running into a bit of a roadblock though. I use seed hoppers/vacation feeders with a drawer on the bottom for the finches so I don't have to worry about hulls getting in their way. Also cuts down on the mess. Is there anything like this for hookbills? It seems like the hoppers are all too small or would be uncomfortable. I saw the Tidy Seed kind, but it seems like it would still be a pain to clear out the hulls. Thoughts?

BTW, he seems to be settling in. Starting to sing a little, but still seems pretty quiet/bored. I'm hoping that will improve once I get him into the new flight cage :)
Finches: Blossom and Bubbles

Parakeets: Frankie and Joey

RIP Buttercup
Fly free JoJo

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:55 pm

sundancekid

Well congratulations on your new boy. Is hubby warming up to him yet?

Not sure about the different seed cups, as I just use open cups.

About a flight of his own, he will love it, especially if you get him some toys and rotate them every week or so. A mirror would be nice, along with a couple of ladders, a swing, and maybe some bell toys.

You could try spending some bonding time with him and a spray of millet :-). If he had some friendly interaction with people before, he might respond positively.

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~