Hello all!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Harley2013
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Hello all!

Post by Harley2013 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Hello all! I'm back! A lot has happened in the past few months. I left a 15 year dead relationship in March, my mom passed in April, my ex husband who I have known and been best friends with for 22 years asked me to reconcile after 16 year divorce. So I have had a lot to process.

However, some of you may remember I have 2 parakeets. Green male/female. 1 year or so old. Thinking of having a clutch of babies for my nephew to witness and see the whole educational aspect of it. I do want to handle the chicks each day to have that going for me when looking for homes for them.

I have them in a 30x18x18 cage, no divider right now. Female has a brown cere and male is brilliant blue. Breeding condition I've read? However, these particular breeding cages have doors that don't fit even outside breeding boxes very well without leaving a gap that I'm afraid someone could get stuck in. And how easy is this idea? Do they breed easily?

We have the cage in a very bright, lightly used room. And we also have a chocolate lab who is very curious about them and nosing around at times. Could this work? How would I go about this, where do I get a breeding box I can mount on outside of cage and not have a gap issue?
Tammie (ME!);D

Harley (Red-factor canary)~ RIP my songbird ~5/4/14
Franklin & Olive ( budgie)
Lou (19 year old son)
Tanner (24 year old son)
Love of my life Lou Jr.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Hello all!

Post by lovezebs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Harley2013

Tammie, you're back amongs the living :-)

I have never bred Budgies, so can't help you there.
I do however have two boy Budgies, in a 30×30 cage, and I often think that it's too small for the two. So-ooow, if you want enough room for two babies and lord only knows how many kids......... well, you get the picture. A bigger cage would be better.

Best of luck, and a warm welcome back to the Forum :-)

Elana
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Welcome back!!!
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:25 pm

Welcome back, Tammie!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Ginene
Molting
Molting

Post by Ginene » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:35 pm

Welcome Back Tammie :D

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:54 pm

The cage should be up high on a table and the dog should not be allowed anywhere near the birds. The birds know dogs are a threat and will be stressed by its presence.

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Harley2013

Your chocolate lab is genetically bred to catch flailing birds after a hunter's impact.

His oily shiny coat is made for FINDING and retrieving shot ( and oftentimes not yet dead) birds in the water. Hence "retriever".

Yep I would assume that good dog would try and do you a favor of happily presenting you with a dead, or close to it, birdie.

Hes just doing his job :lol: Dont be hard on him if he's happy about his work. #-o