New Grasskeets

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: New Grasskeets

Post by cindy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 am

Derk wrote: cindy
I hope you did not mind the teasing about the cages. It just so happens I have been thinking I 'should' be moving more cages in front of my large picture window in the living room, but parts of cages are already in front of so many already. I want to provide the best, but I also want to live a little 'normally' as well.
Not at all, Mary...please do not give it another thought!!

Was thinking about your comment this morning and wanted to mention this...my youngest daughter may be getting a room mate for her two bedroom condo so we are giving her the bedroom set from the on of the other spare bedroom.... this will officially become the second birdroom specifically for grasskeets and a Shaft tail. I will allow for a very nice breeding area and a cart in the center for feeding and seed, maintenance needs. We have one room already that is for finches that hold a walkin 8x6x3 aviary.

Adding a second room will be nice both have nice morning sun exposure!

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:06 pm

dunker817

I saw all of the different kinds of grasskeets at the mart too, and they are so cute! Congrats on getting a pair! I love the big eyes and the shorter faces. I came home with some cordon bleus too...their colors are gorgeous!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:55 pm

slwatson, at the last show I bought some cordon bleus from Ahmed. I love those little birds. They have such nice coloring and they are busy little things. And sing and peep all day long. I'm very glad I got a pair of grasskeets. Not only are they beautiful but they have different personalities from my other birds.

Cindy, the finches in the bird room are free flying. They roost in various places each night. There is a tree in front of the window they all like to hide in. I was going to put ultra violet window clings up like I use for the wild birds but all the finches seem to know it's not something they can pass through. If I move the grasskeets to the birdroom I will put up the window clings or an interior screen. I pulled up the carpeting in the room and replaced it with vinyl tile. It's super easy to clean up. I buy unprinted news paper in big sheets to lay on the floor under the perches. I've been looking at cages on line but so far haven't found one that is meeting my size requirements. I want my birds to have plenty of space.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:53 pm

The double flight by HQ or A&E will be ample room for a pair of scarlets. In my picture there are two scarlets in that cage and there is enough room for them to breed in the cage.

the divider comes out
Attachments
6-24 scarlet flight.jpg
HQ-double flight.gif

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:07 pm

I wanted to mention to you...scarlets are soft feather birds.. if you have to catch them and you are holding them they will shed feathers, they stress really easy.

Wanted to ask, is there a screen door or solid door on your room, how do you enter the room, do you let them know somehow that you are coming in...how do you prevent the birds from flying out when you enter... this is what concerns me about you putting the scarlets in your room. If they get out into the main house they will be frantic and can smash into a wall, window... they do not fly like a finch.

~ My Facebook groups ~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:44 am

Cindy,

I found that double flight cage at Petco. Is there another place that carries it? Petco wants $351 for it. I will get it if that is my only choice but if I can find one cheaper why not?

When I converted the room I had a glass door put in. I can see every corner in the room and know where the birds are at. The gouldians are tame and don't mind me coming in. The cordon bleus and the parrot finches are a bit skittish. They fly to the tree or an upper perch if I open the door. I go in there a lot and have a chair in there I sit on spending time with them. The gouldians will fly right to my lap. Love it. I would be very careful about opening the door as I am now. So far none of the finches have shown any interest in getting out.

I see what you mean about grasskeets being skittish. They do get flustered rather easily.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Antone France

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:50 am

Let me see if I can get a few other sites for the cage. I found Petsmart and Petco to be expensive.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Amazon sometimes offers it cheaper with free shipping...Walmart also. Walmart will also have it sent to a store near you.

~ My Facebook groups ~

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:55 pm

I have this HQ cage and like it a lot. Well built. Assembly is a bit of a pain.

Petco's price is $150 too high. Check Amazon. $210 and free shipping.

From the picture on Amazon the only difference from mine is the door latches. Is this a design change or a different company?
With the divider out the gap is about 5/8 inch and could be a place that really tiny finches could squeeze through. I put a strip of wood into the gap to prevent this. Certainly not a concern for grasskeets.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Double-Di ... light+cage

Edit: to add another that looks the same and even cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Chinchilla-Wrough ... R160%2C160_

finchandlovebird
Proven
Proven

Post by finchandlovebird » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:08 pm

so much fun reading about grasskeets. I've been off the board for about 2 weeks, so am a bit behind.
My keets are doing fabulously. 1st chick is doing great; have him in a cage w/an English Parakeet (same size as him) & 2 silver Gouldians (one of which had a foot injury & just finally it fell off). All these birds get along super.
2 chicks will fledged any day now from the 2nd clutch. They're sitting in the nest box hole & peeping out & chirping.
Gave my keets dried meal worms today & they LOVED them; scarfed them right down :)
Dolly J

1 Canary
, 1 Parakeet
Raised Gouldians & Scarlet Chested Parakeets in past years

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:42 am

I found a similar double flight cage at Hayneedle for $299. Willl need to check Walmart and Amazon.
Layne

Antone France

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Okie Dokie. I found a cage I want that will have ample room my scarlets. Is the only issue with housing them in the bird room the concern about the glass windows and the door?
Layne

Antone France

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Glass is never ever a good idea around scarlets. Have you ever seen them get loose and frantically fly.... and it is not a matter of them getting use to the glass being there either... when they flee or panic it is all over... they get injured it takes them longer to get over shock and in some cases it kills them... they are not tough like bourkes or budgies. They are more delicate.

I understand your desire to want to put them in the big bird room but their safety needs to come before your want to have them in there...it is something you need to consider. If you put their long flight inside your bird room be warned they are not keen on other birds landing on top or on their cage, they get flustered/startled easily.

You said they were flighty you need to let them adjust and have quiet right now since they are new. Do not rush them with to many new things... a new flight would ok.

~ My Facebook groups ~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 pm

cindy

Thanks for all your help. My first concern is that my birds be happy and safe. I will order their flight cage tonight and wait until quarantine is over to move them. That will give them time to settle in. I also need to rearrange their perches. They are eating and drinking well by the way. Their cage is next to my computer so they are getting used to me and my noise.
Layne

Antone France

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:19 pm

That is good they are settling in! As they get older they settle down more. If you plan to breed them the males become very bold running up to you when you bring soft foods for them to feed the young.

~ My Facebook groups ~