Peachfaced lovebird

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Peachfaced lovebird

Post by javansparrow » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:05 am

Hello again all! :D greetings from Indonesia! :D

I found new interest (been one and half years though): PF lovebirds!

these guys are amazing. I keep them with my budgies. All is well, though it makes the budgies stop breeding. But what I found great is that they're all did well in this 6 meters aviary (±18 ft). On may 2015 I have my first 'baby boom' experience. 5 boxes fill up with hatchlings (up to 13 babies - mature grown is 9) and not like budgies, things are alright; no fight over boxes, no hatchling killings. And this month I experience the second baby boom, 4 boxes with 9 babies in there. :D

now, in total, I have 39 PF lovebirds, include youngsters from the previous 'season'. (not included hatchlings that still in the boxes)

PS: btw don't worry about the finches I kept, they're all good, despite several cases of rat infestation. :evil: The finch aviary looks like a forrest now, need to trim here and there a bit. :D
Jim.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Peachfaced lovebird

Post by cindy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 am

That is a lot of lovebirds... you may want to consider moving your budgies to their own flight if they no longer are breeding since you added the lovebirds. Most house those two species separately.

Note: I noticed a java in with the lovebirds and budgies...it is not recommended to house finches with either species, especially with so many hookbills in one enclosure.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

vinay
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vinay » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:07 am

You have beautiful birds and its great that they are breeding ! :)

Sorry to be such a spoilsport but I genuinely feel its a bad idea housing peachfaced lovebirds with any other species especially when nest boxes are provided and the birds have young ones.

Your budgies and javas stand no chance against an angry pf lovie . All it takes is one nosey budgie and one hormonal lovebird and before you know it , you will have a bloodbath on your hands :( .

I have seen lovebirds chewing off entire legs and beaks from other birds.

Trust me , the peachies and the budgies will be much happier with their own kind. If you don't have too many budgies , you could also put them in a smaller cage inside the same aviary. That would work too.

Good luck !

Derk
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Derk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:52 am

javansparrow
Gorgeous birds.

I also have lovies, but not nearly as many. Only 7. You do need to be careful what you put them with as stated above. Not only that, but occasionally a female will get just a wee bit too hormonal and cause a lot of destruction even to her own species. I have had to separate a few females because they fought and a beak got punctured. No blood but antibiotics and a filler were required so that an infection did not start. Also very painful because nerves are involved. There were only 3 pairs and no nest box or high protein diets involved and LOTS of room. They have a large bedroom converted to an 'aviary.'

I have also heard about hormonal females killing their mates of many years.

This is one of those situations were everything is fine until 'someone looses an eye or toe or leg or life.'
Mary

zebras
societies
strawberries 1 pr, 2 F
gold-breasted waxbill 2 pr
cordon bleu blue capped, 2 pr, 1 M
cordon bleu red cheeked M
red-faced starfinch M
yellow faced starfinch M
Melodious Cuban finch M
gouldian red head norm. M, yellow white breast M
green singer M
canary, gloster, corona, blue pied, M
cut-throat 1 pr & 1 M

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:31 am

I had over a dozen pairs of lovebirds at one time...felt it was best to individually house pairs separately when breeding. Budgies can be just as nasty. Hens can be brutal when nesting. They can bloody or kill any bird they feel will threaten their young or box.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

javansparrow
Mature
Mature

Post by javansparrow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 am

Hi all :D

thanks for your concern. I know. I've been in bad situation with budgies before. that's why when I started this PF about one and a half years ago, I started with only 2 mature breeding pairs which I placed in one relatively smaller cage (about 5ft only). and after 2 succesfully breeding seasons I concluded that these birds have a calmer personality than those budgies.

that's when I started to buy more (young ones this time) and placed in my budgies aviary. and by april 2015 these youngsters already formed several pairs and started breeding in this 20ft aviary. And that is the time also I moved the 2 previous pairs to join in this bigger aviary (after they had their 3rd-4th breeding season - actually one pair was had their ±2 week old hatchlings that time, but it doesnt seem problem for them. the chicks grew without problem in their new aviary).

I moved the 2 pairs because I need the place to build my third aviary (it's a ±6 by 10ft) for my diamond doves. these doves also joined the budgie aviary during their younger time without any problem. Now in separately aviary they already bred.

my third aviary:

DD chick

other pair still incubate their eggs in their own made nest

Jim.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:40 am

javansparrow

Well, all I can say, is good luck.

Having kept Peach Face Lovebirds, for close to twenty years (before my Finches), I have to say that they can be some of the craziest, most aggressive birds I have ever seen.

Nasty, mean, bloodthirsty, and outright homicidal maniacs in some cases.

Maybe it depends on blood lines (like with some dog breeds), but I would never have them again.

So, if it works for you, great :-BD

They are truly lovely looking birds, I'll say that much for them.

All the best of luck :-).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~