More Questions

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

More Questions

Post by dunker817 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:03 pm

I keep positng questions about my grasskeets but the post never shows up. I will try a third time. Do grasskeets perfer certain seeds over others? I have tiel mix and parakeet mix in the cage and all they eat is the saflower seeds. I am ordering from Herman Bros this week and would like to get them a mix they wil enjoy.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: More Questions

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:14 pm

I've had Bourkes, turqs and scarlets and they have all been happy with 'tiel mix bought in bulk from a farm-type feed store, occasional millet sprays plus varying interest in fresh green veg.
Add dry egg food and freeze dried worms once in a while or when nesting for protein.
Keep trying. They'll come around.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:26 pm

I use Higgins Vita Parakeet seed, their Australian mix for lovebirds and tiels (no sunflowers (actually there is no difference in the nutritional value of sunflower and safflower, safflower is easier for them to manage)). I add extra canary seed, oat groats, proso Roudybush pellets (High Energy Breeder) nibbles size and Prettybird pellets mini (for finches).

I also use dried egg food by Higgins, fresh chopped veggies and boiled grated egg.

I do not use any insects with mine, the pellets and eggfoods provide enough protein and more. They also get sprouted white proso and brown top..occasionally sprouted mung beans

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 pm

When I called Herman Bros years ago the gentleman asked what species I had and he recommended certain seeds, I ordered several and tried them, from those I was able to see what they preferred. The gentleman there was very nice, very helpful. They also like dried and fresh herbs and dried veggies in some of the mixes.

~ My Facebook groups ~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Thank y'all for for your advice. I guess I am a bit worried about the grasskeets being new papa to them. Tomorrow I will try some green veggies. I have some Harrisons bird pellets too.

@cindy

The flight cage we discussed on the other thread arrived. I put it together this afternoon. It was a beating. That aside, it's huge. Much bigger than I imagined. But I can see from shape and size why grasskeets would need a cage like that. It's so long I don't think I can get it down the hallway and into the room, lol. Guess my couch will end up in the garage so the keets will a place to call home.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Antone France

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:16 pm

Have you tried the Harrison's bird bread yet? Someone is sending me a few bags to try on my grasskeets and conure. I have not used Harrison's before, let me know how your birds like it!

~ My Facebook groups ~

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:33 pm

I haven't tried the bird bread. My tiels won't eat bird bread so I haven't really tried it with my other birds. My finches and canaries are good little eaters chowing down on veggies and fruits.
Layne

Antone France