Question!

For the discussion of everything concerning all varieties of hookbill birds
Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Question!

Post by Jen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Can a pair of Scarlet Breasted Keets be housed in the same flight cage with one Cockatiel?

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Question!

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Probably, cockatiels are very relaxed birds, though depending on the cockatiel it may feel left out if it wants to play with them and they have only have eyes for eachother and ignore it. If the cockatiel is more human-imprinted he probably won't care either way as long as the other birds don't harass him.
~Dylan

~~~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Dylan. I may try putting them together and keep a close watch. I also have a larger flight cage that I could use to give them all more room together. I'll let you know how it goes!

Jenny

Gouldians, Red Cheek Cordon Blue family, Gold Breasted Waxbills, Fire Finches, Owl finches, Yellow Face & Red Face Star Finches, Lavender Finches, Society Finches, Canary,Rosey Bourke, Scarlet Chested Grasskeets, Cockatiels, too many Guineas, Izzy my 16 year old cute doggie dog, two spoiled kitties!

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:20 pm

No never. Scarlets need to be in their own flight.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:46 pm

if you are planning to put them together in a cage no, even in a 5 ft long one - no.... if you had a big walkin it may work.

6x8 is the smallest I would put the two species in together.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:40 pm

Jen Opinions will vary, I tend to be very adventurous and base compatibility on the individuals versus species. I've never seen any of my cockatiels bully another bird, period. They're very gentle, and certainly so are scarlet-chested parakeets.
~Dylan

~~~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:31 pm

OK....So now I will do nothing...two very conflicting opinions. I do not want to jeopardize my birds in any way. My Cockatiel, "Sammie", is pretty tame and likes to interact with me and my children. But I don't know how he would react to another bird or birds inside his cage. I have had other birds in a cage next to his and when he is outside his cage and free flying, he shows lots of interest in the other birds.

I really appreciate your replies. If there is anyone who has experience with these two species being housed together, please chime in.
Thank you guys. I participate in this forum for this very reason!

Jenny

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:58 pm

I raise scarlets and would not consider placing them in a cage that is already occupied by a cockatiel. It is never a good idea to place other birds in a cage that is established by another bird or pair of birds.

Scarlets also sleep for part of the day and are a bit active when lights go down, unlike cockatiels. Both have two different day time patterns. Also male scarlets do get very protective over their hens.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:50 am

Thank you cindy. I will definitely look into a different housing set up for my Scarlets. I don't want to take any chances with them. I picked up a young hen from a breeder at the Pasadena bird fair a few weeks ago. She was hatched and raised outdoors and I have her in my outdoor aviary. But with all the bad weather lately and more to come, I want to move them indoors for the winter. I remember reading all the information you posted and have been following a lot of your comment about Scarlets. Thanks again!

Jenny

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:25 am

Jenny,

I tend to agree with Cindy, to be on the cautious side. I have had both Bourkes and Scarlet Chesteds for years. I have them as tame pets in individual cages. They interact fine outside their cages but they tend to freak out if another bird tries to enter their cage. I was especially surprised to find that my 2 female Bourkes get very hostile to each other, if the one tries to enter the other's cage.

In a flight cage situation, a Cockatiel and 2 Scarlets would probably be fine, if all were new birds introduced to a new cage at the same time. But if the Cockatiel has been in there a while or if the Scarlets are bonded as a pair, there could be some territorial fighting so I would advise caution.

Here is an extreme example of territorial problems: I once gave a pair of Java Sparrows to a guy who wanted to breed them. I took for granted that he knew what he was doing, since he had other birds. But apparently, this BONEHEAD tried to breed Java Sparrows, Budgies, and Cockatiels all in one relatively small flight cage! All the books will tell you that these 3 species can co-habit... yes, in a big aviary... but not a flight cage, with breeding pairs and nest boxes! The outcome was, my 2 Java Sparrows ended up dead. There was territorial fighting over space and I believe the normally placid cockatiels killed my Javas! An extreme case, of course, but just an example how normally easy-going birds can get ugly when paired off and trying to breed in a small space!

Here are some of my birds... friendship and harmony ...OUTSIDE the cage. The Java below is the one baby my "on loan" Java pair managed to produce (before all the bloodshed... so I have to give the guy credit for at least giving me back the baby, after his breeding disaster).

Even harmony at the "swimming pool"... but don't come in my cage!

My exception to the "stay outta my cage" rule is this Java Sparrow who visits and SLEEPS WITH my doves...
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

Jen
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Jen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:19 pm

Nipper06
Holy Moly....I can't even begin to comment on the "bonehead" guy. Not to worry on my side of the fence. I'm not even going to try to put these birds together! But I appreciate the story...OMG...one to remember!

Jenny

Nipper06
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Nipper06 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 am

It was a disaster. He should have known better than to try and breed those 3 species in a home-made 30-inch cage! I think he even had other birds in there too! I didn't know any better since he described it as his "aviary". I only found out afterwards, when I went over to get the surviving baby Java and I saw the "aviary".

Java Sparrows, Budgies, and Cockatiels can live together - and probably even in that size cage, if introduced to it at the same time - but NOT when they are breeding! What you were proposing was MUCH less risky.
Ron

My Pets: 2 Java Sparrows, 1 Canary, 4 Gouldian Finches, 1 Green Singer, 2 Ringneck Doves, 1 Budgie, 2 Rosy Bourke Parakeets, and 1 Mixed-breed Terrier

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:02 pm

I don't notice any cage aggression with my flock. The cockatiels share theirs with the budgies quite contentedly, and allow anyone else in there who wishes during free flight.
~Dylan

~~~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Scarlet chested parakeets are not like cockatiels or parakeets, their disposition even sleep habits are different... I would not risk it.

Dylan have you ever owned scarlet chested grasskeets?

I have owned all three in quanity and there is no way I would put scarlets in with budgies or cockatiels. Scarlets also stress easily.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Oh I wasn't arguing on that anymore, just adding to the discussion.
~Dylan

~~~